What has ALPA done for me lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ualdriver

On the security front, the 2009 Christmas Day failed terrorist attack on NWA Flight #253 demonstrated the need for a national strategic plan to notify airborne flight crews, or those positioned for takeoff, of an ongoing, significant security-related event. Soon after that attack, I joined National Security Committee Chairman Robb Powers (ALA) in conversations with senior leaders of the Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Administration about this deficiency. We also discussed the benefits of a standardized Threatened Airspace Management (TAM) response plan, which ALPA has been advocating for since 2006.

It appears that our labors have borne fruit. ALPA learned that during the recent security incident onboard UAL Flight #663, ATC alerted the flight decks of nearly 5,000 aircraft of an ongoing security incident and advised the need for additional caution. A number of the airlines ALPA members serve also broadcasted ACARS messages, alerting pilots to the ongoing event. Rest assured that ALPA will continue its advocacy for a robust Threatened Airspace Management Plan, including a prioritized response for management of the air traffic system in the event of a significant threatened-airspace event.

The ALPA National Security Steering and Oversight Committee met last week in Herndon to review its projects list and discuss our union’s security initiatives, including obtaining additional funding for the FFDO program, the status of CrewPASS implementation, and RTCA’s efforts to establish secondary barrier standards. Capt. Craig Hall (JAZ), ALPA director of Canada Security, also briefed the group on controversial screening protocols imposed by the Transportation Security Administration on the Canadian Air Transportation Security Authority for passengers on flights traveling from Canada to the U.S., and ALPA's efforts to work with both organizations on this issue.

Speaking of RTCA, Capt. Rip Torn (DAL) spoke at the annual RTCA Spring Symposium last week, where participants discussed “Bringing NextGen into Focus.” Torn’s panel delved into issues surrounding the development of new procedures in congested metropolitan areas with multiple airports. He emphasized the need to use safety as the driving factor in all NextGen enhancements and discussed the need for standardization, cockpit workload awareness, and expectations in procedure designs.

Also in the Safety realm, last week we submitted comments to the FAA’s docket for an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) on new pilot-certification requirements for air carrier operations. You will recall that I provided a draft of those comments to the Executive Board a couple of weeks ago to inform you of this activity and to give an opportunity for you to share your perspectives.

In our finalized comments, we called on the agency to amend FAR Part 61 to make several needed changes to the certification requirements that will, if enacted into regulation, provide both safety and industrial benefits to our members. In response to questions posed in the ANPRM, we have recommended to the FAA, among other things, that all future airline pilots hold an Air Transport Pilot certificate with a “121 Air Carrier Endorsement.”

To earn the ATP, the pilot would have no fewer than 1,500 hours of total flying time, including 200 hours of multicrew and multiengine operating experience, plus accredited aviation instruction from a college or university. We have endorsed an exception for graduates of accredited aviation programs with a bachelor of science degree, which would permit those under the age of 23 and having at least 750 hours to be issued a “restricted” ATP with the 121 Air Carrier Endorsement.
We conclude the letter by calling on the FAA to create an Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) to write a proposed new rule to amend Parts 61 and 121 with our recommendations. I will keep you updated on our correspondence with the agency on this matter.

On Tuesday and Wednesday of last week, the Spirit pilot negotiating team and leadership met with company representatives to try to reach an agreement with the help of NMB member Linda Puchala. Despite talks’ going late into the night on Wednesday, no agreement could be reached. ALPA’s request for a proffer is still pending, and under normal Board practice it should be ruled on promptly.

Finally, the Executive Council will meet in DC this week. We’re covering over 40 agenda items, and I’ll update you on any pertinent items in the next BOD Update. For more information on what’s going on with your union, please check out the FastRead.

Is anybody going to proof read the magazine, now?

To answer your question, nothing

How about legal/medical counsel?

How about LOL/Life insurance?

How about a f-ing CBA so I can at least try for a B-fund?

Who's defending the Colgan guy's family from the scumbag lawyers suing his wife and kids now?......

ALPA

Who's gonna defend mine if they need it someday..???

I have no idea.

I know it's far from perfect....but try doing this gig with none of the above protections....trust me, it's scary.

I'm gladly looking forward to paying 2% for these benefits alone....

I'm gladly looking forward to paying 2% for these benefits alone....
Agreed. Unfortunately, too many union pilots think of dues as being the same as a payment to Burger King; all they have to do is pay up and they can have it their way. You and I both know dues is only the grease for the machine and we, the members, are what makes ALPA work....or not.

As a volunteer organization, we are only as effective as those members doing the work. Ideally, every member wants to volunteer and positions are filled by selecting the best person for the job. Unfortunately, what happens most of the time is that the position is filled by the first person to volunteer for it regardless of their qualifications. That's exactly how I got my job. Nobody else wanted to do it so I volunteered even though my expertise in the subject was minimal.

ALPA pilots who sit back and say "ALPA has done nothing for me" are the problem, because they are ALPA.

Agreed. Unfortunately, too many union pilots think of dues as being the same as a payment to Burger King; all they have to do is pay up and they can have it their way. You and I both know dues is only the grease for the machine and we, the members, are what makes ALPA work....or not.

As a volunteer organization, we are only as effective as those members doing the work. Ideally, every member wants to volunteer and positions are filled by selecting the best person for the job. Unfortunately, what happens most of the time is that the position is filled by the first person to volunteer for it regardless of their qualifications. That's exactly how I got my job. Nobody else wanted to do it so I volunteered even though my expertise in the subject was minimal.

ALPA pilots who sit back and say "ALPA has done nothing for me" are the problem, because they are ALPA.

Wow! Good answer.

What is Timmy doing for ALPA these days?

Nothing, Absolutely Nothing
Never has and never will do anything, ALPA dues are nothing more than an employment tax.

Latest resources

Back