• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What has ALPA done for me lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you really expect us to read all that? Jesus Christ Fransis, how 'bout some cliff notes.

What are you? The uni-bomber with a manifesto?

UAL guys need a hobby.

Maybe you should get checked for ADHD. I really didn't think it was that bad. You've just got to put down the XBox360 controller for a couple of minutes. Thanks UAL driver for the post. Keep it coming. :)

I am not a Prater fan BUT I think he represented us well on this one. I would like to see max 12 hour duty day with 9 hours minimum rest behind the hotel door. I would also like to see ATP mins to fly 121 (That is what I had when I got my first 121 job). This fatigue issue must be addressed ASAP.

We have 9 hours behind the door as minimum rest (unless waived with a contractual bribe of 5 hours of bonus pay and the dropping of the next day's flying with pay after flying one leg home) here at UAL. I think it works great, except for the fact that I'm not sure that 9 hours is enough (I obviously don't have to explain that to a regional airline pilot) and the "bribe" part should be dropped.

I'm not a fan of everything ALPA does either, but it's the only organization that will represent OUR INTERESTS when/if these rules get changed.

Like anyone else who skimmed through college, I found the meat of the issue in the summation....

I agree with everything except the blatant sidestep of upping the necessary flight hours for Part 121 to "more stringent academic requirements".

In conclusion, ALPA believes that it is essential, and long overdue, that the flight and duty time rules for commercial aviation operations be revised based on readily available science. Issues that must be addressed include providing crewmembers a minimum rest period that will allow an opportunity for 8 hours of sleep, and there should be provisions for operations on the back side of a pilot’s circadian rhythms. Additionally, a pilot’s duty day length should be based on when the day begins and how many flight segments are scheduled.

In regard to training, we feel there should be more stringent academic requirements in FAR Part 121 to obtain both commercial and airline transport pilot ratings. Airlines should provide specific command training courses for new captains to instill in them the necessary skills and traits to be a real leader on the flight deck. Airlines should also implement mentoring programs for both captains and first officers as they first enter operations in their crew position to help them become comfortable and reinforce the knowledge and skills learned in training and apply them to line operations.
Airline training needs to account for the source of their pilots and assume the minimum experience level. There should be structured, in-depth oversight of code-share partners by the major carriers to include periodic safety audits of flight operations, training programs, and maintenance and inspection. The best practices in use by major carriers need to be mentored into their smaller code share partners.

Last edited:
Do you really expect us to read all that? Jesus Christ Fransis, how 'bout some cliff notes.

What are you? The uni-bomber with a manifesto?

UAL guys need a hobby.

Hopefully this clown is speaking for the minority. We are in a freefall with wages and quality of life issues in this profession. ALPA is as strong as it's members. Are they perfect? Not even close, but what non union carrier reps spoke along with Prater? Anyone?

UALDriver,

Thank you for the post. I've been trying to watch the video from CSPAN, but ran into downloading problems.

Prater hit the nail right on the head. You may not agree with the guy all the time. Hell, you might hate his guts. But he stated the case better than anyone has to date, and we need to back him on this one 100%.

Peace.

Rekks

PS took less than 10 minutes to read!

Last edited:
UALDriver,

Thank you for the post. I've been trying to watch the video from CSPAN, but ran into downloading problems.

Prater hit the nail right on the head. You may not agree with the guy all the time. Hell, you might hate his guts. But he stated the case better than anyone has to date, and we need to back him on this one 100%.

Peace.

Rekks

PS took less than 10 minutes to read!
I hate Prater, but I agree he did an ok job. But, he did make some mistakes, he answered a few questions where you could tell he was not sure on the answer and he stopped himself from saying not sure, and replied I can gurantee or I'm willing to bet. Congress hates these words, but he was not on trial here so no worry. On the other hand they all seemed to hate the RAA guy, and there were very few times he answered what he wasn't sure on. He did one time and the senator said are you sure, he then backed off and said I beleive so, but I can check and get all the info, the senator replied why don't you do that. Not exact quotes but hopefully you guys get the idea.

Hopefully this clown is speaking for the minority. We are in a freefall with wages and quality of life issues in this profession. ALPA is as strong as it's members. Are they perfect? Not even close, but what non union carrier reps spoke along with Prater? Anyone?

I know the SkyWest SAPA saps weren't there. Pretty typical, letting the union folks do all the work then reaping the results.

I am not a Prater fan BUT I think he represented us well on this one. I would like to see max 12 hour duty day with 9 hours minimum rest behind the hotel door. I would also like to see ATP mins to fly 121 (That is what I had when I got my first 121 job). This fatigue issue must be addressed ASAP.

I'll second this.

Latest resources

Back