What has ALPA done for me lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ualdriver

Just some more examples of how ALPA does "nothing" for airline pilots or the profession and only cares about dues money....

1) ALPA president Capt. John Prater and National Security Committee chairman Capt. Robb Powers (Alaska) this week met with Transportation Security Administration Acting Administrator Gale Rossides to discuss CrewPASS and other security issues. Rossides reported that TSA has approved the next phase of the CrewPASS project. The pre-operational phase of this demonstration is to begin by May 1, and the CrewPASS contractor, ARINC, will replace the ALPA-loaned laptops with new Internet-capable devices that will provide both employment status confirmation and identity verification via fingerprint biometrics. TSA has approved the deployment of this equipment at all three current CrewPASS locations (BWI, PIT, and CAE) and will add one additional terminal at BWI for a total of four lanes.
ARINC will begin enrolling pilots in the CrewPASS system in the near future, and ALPA will help the company advertise the biometric enrollment venue and date information. Flight crews will still be able to use all four lanes without biometrics for an extended period of time. Next steps for CrewPASS include the publication of program standards by TSA, which would include nationwide implementation, inclusion of flight attendants, and other measures. Prater and Powers also spoke to Rossides about ALPA’s views regarding needed improvements to the Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) program, all-cargo operations security, the development of standards for secondary barriers, and the need for approving international jumpseating via the Cockpit Access Security System (CASS).

2. In an April 17 letter and an accompanying position paper, ALPA president Capt. John Prater and other airline industry leaders urged U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to consider several key issues when presenting his upcoming testimony before the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

3. ALPA president Capt. John Prater met with newly appointed U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk on Wednesday. Prater attended the meeting along with AFL-CIO President John Sweeney and several other presidents of AFL-CIO unions. The meeting provided an occasion for Ambassador Kirk to lay out his trade negotiations agenda and to exchange ideas with the union leaders on how to integrate labor concerns into that agenda. Prater explained the role that ALPA has been playing in a number of air service negotiations and expressed his support for the concerns of the objectives of other unions, whose members are being directly affected by the trade negotiations being conducted by the USTR. Ambassador Kirk indicated that he expects to consult the AFL-CIO leaders on a routine basis.

4. ALPA participated in the 29th Annual New York Airfinance Conference on Tuesday, April 21. ALPA president Capt. John Prater spoke on a panel that addressed international air service negotiations along with U.S. Assistant Secretary of State of Transportation John Byerly and European Commission Director of Air Transport Daniel Calleja. Prater cautioned the U.S. and the European Union against rushing into “Stage II” negotiations until the results of the “Stage I” agreement that went into force in March 2008 are clearer. He noted that while the U.S. has a single labor law—the Railway Labor Act—that governs labor management relations throughout the U.S., each of the 27 member states of the EU has its own national labor law.

5. On Thursday and Friday, a team from ALPA met with representatives from the European Cockpit Association (ECA) to discuss labor issues arising out of the U.S.–European Union air service negotiations. The two groups discussed the upcoming labor forum that the European Commission is planning to hold in June immediately preceding the next round of negotiations, and committed themselves to working together to ensure that pilot concerns are effectively presented at that forum. Among the specific concerns addressed were the establishment of OpenSkies Airlines by British Airways and the possible creation of the joint venture airline by United and Aer Lingus to operate in the transatlantic market. The ALPA team was headed up by first vice-president Capt. Paul Rice and the ECA team was headed by that association’s president, Capt. Martin Chalk. The ECA represents more than 38,000 European pilots and flight engineers from the national flight crew associations in 36 European countries, and works together with ALPA through the International Federation of Air Line Pilots’ Associations.

6. ALPA is calling on Congress to increase funding for the Human Intervention Motivation Study (HIMS), a resoundingly successful drug-and-alcohol-assistance program created for airline pilots. In written testimony to the Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development and related agencies (within the House’s Committee on Appropriations), ALPA has requested $600,000 for the program in fiscal years 2010–12, a $100,000 bump to reach an even wider audience and to train more doctors and other professionals. Airlines, pilot representatives, medical professionals, and the FAA work together through HIMS to provide carrier-based employee assistance programs to identify and rehabilitate alcohol- and drug-dependent pilots. The product of a 1974 collaboration between ALPA and the National Institute for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, HIMS has successfully treated more than 4,200 pilots and returned them to the cockpit under close monitoring. More than 35 airlines in North America have active programs, and foreign carriers like British Airways and Cathay Pacific have instituted similar programs. Funding will be used to produce and distribute educational and training material, conduct training seminars on peer identification and intervention, and provide administrative support. Other resources are used for the actual treatment and rehabilitation of patients.

7. More than 100 pilots who fly for Bearskin, Calm Air, and Wasaya live in the Red River region of Manitoba, where recent torrential rains and widespread flooding have devastated the area. Conditions are being compared to the floods of 1997 and 1950, when tens of thousands of citizens were forced to evacuate from their homes.[/font]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The Red is one of the few major rivers that runs north from the United States into Canada. Manitoba is receiving the floodwaters that recently plagued the Fargo, N.D., region. In addition, ice jams, especially those north of Winnipeg, have exacerbated the situation. ALPA pilots who are victims of this disaster are encouraged to reach out to the ALPA Emergency Relief Fund (AERF), a member resource intended to provide for the immediate needs of ALPA pilots and their families who fall victim to these devastating events. AERF is funded from contributions by ALPA members and staff and is one of the many tangible benefits of belonging to the Association. ALPA also needs member donations to ensure that resources are available to members when tragedy occurs.

Last edited:
If you're interested, I'd be more than happy to send you my never-filled-out, still-in-its-sealed envelope USAPA application my new found east coast flyin' buddies sent me a while back. I hear they're looking for a few "good union pilots" and could use the dues money.:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Proud non-member

Last edited:
If you're interested, I'd be more than happy to send you my never-filled-out, still-in-its-sealed envelope USAPA application my new found east coast flyin' buddies sent me a while back. I hear they're looking for a few "good union pilots" and could use the dues money.:rolleyes:

Proud non-member

If there's a postage paid envelope in there, you might want to send it back to them :)

Be sure to keep us all updated on your date in court...It should be one week, start to finish, right?

8 days Tuesday thru Thursday ,weekends off. Then it goes to the jury and then the the judge. Its a bifurcated (Sp?) trial. Jury decides liability while Judge imposes remedy. If they want to appeal they have to post a significant cash bond with asucessful appeal rate ,if the court decides to hear the appeal at all, of around 5 percent. All this should be squared away by the 15th of May. After that it's anybodies guess what the easties will try to pull next. Should be an interesting summer.

Proud non-member

Last edited:
If there's a postage paid envelope in there, you might want to send it back to them :).........

What I should have done was scribbled " return to sender address unknown " across the top of the envelope the moment it hit my mailbox and send it right back to them. Talk about "junk mail '" .....

PHXFLYR

I love to point out the ALPA logo on the laptop in PIT to all the USAPA loving angry F/O's from Cranberry when in line, it makes them soil their depends from the look they give!!!!

8 days Tuesday thru Thursday ,weekends off. Then it goes to the jury and then the the judge. Its a bifurcated (Sp?) trial. Jury decides liability while Judge imposes remedy. If they want to appeal they have to post a significant cash bond with asucessful appeal rate ,if the court decides to hear the appeal at all, of around 5 percent. All this should be squared away by the 15th of May. After that it's anybodies guess what the easties will try to pull next. Should be an interesting summer.

Proud non-member

Interesting, thanks. What exactly is this trial over? Is it the furloughs out of seniority order, or a general DFR suit? If the West wins this one, is Nicolau then imposed?

Interesting, thanks. What exactly is this trial over? Is it the furloughs out of seniority order, or a general DFR suit? If the West wins this one, is Nicolau then imposed?

The trial is expected to be 8 days with some breaks. If a guilty verdict is rendered then Judge Wake goes tight into a bench trial to fix damages and apply remedies.

Latest resources

Back