Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What does it cost the owners to buy into the fractionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder what the cost is to charter a Hawker 400XP per hour??

I'd like to know. The consumer would probably have some ferry time added in for most cases. That would be something to factor into the equation.

I would be willing to bet you can Charter a Beechjet for 1800 per hour!

yeah, that rate seems about right..and just for grins, lets assume that the local company that is going to charter 200 hrs from the local beechjet operator is going to also pay for 100 more hrs of postitioning time...

300 hrs x 1800/hr = 540,000

still makes sense. And no ownership issues.

Now, I'm not sure what operators are promising for a response time for a 1/4 share. Maybe that's a factor in paying a premium.

Obviously, for many people, it's worth that tremendious premium.

rajflyboy said:
I wonder what the cost is to charter a Hawker 400XP per hour??

I'd like to know. The consumer would probably have some ferry time added in for most cases. That would be something to factor into the equation.

I would be willing to bet you can Charter a Beechjet for 1800 per hour!
I'm willing to bet you can too... But there are other expenses in there...

I currently fly a Mitsubishi DiamondJet which is the older version of the Beechjet, and our DOC is pretty low. Would the owner rent it out for $1,800/hr? Probably, but you'd have to pay for pilots seperately from that, and of course traveling expenses...

Would it be less than $3,500/hr? Yes, without a doubt...

Charter is ALWAYS cheaper than frax (on a per hour basis), as it should be. It's a step below frax. In addition to the young frax fleets and more experienced frax pilots, you're really buying a program, which includes all of the services and benefits that come with fractional. I've heard over and over how some frax salespeople (NJs) quote a per hour cost comparable to charter. It's not even close if they compute the numbers right, which they rarely ever do I reckon (one reason they don't post price on their website).

Actually you have to compare "apples to apples." To say a CJ2 is cheaper than a Hawker800 XP is a no brainer. However comparing a C Ultra to a Lear or CX, you would look at cost per mile. Faster means fewer hours to pay for (hourly rate) as well as the ability to utilize more hours per year in your contract which will lower the overall cost of the faster AC as capital costs (purchase price) and the monthly fees are fixed.

If you go for a program like Sentient Jet, which is a glorified charter operation, they charge $3,800/hour one-way, and $2,800 round-trip for a Beech 400A. They make many of the same availability and simplicity of access promises as the fractionals, but it is basically a pool of privately owned aircraft that Sentient charters. A bit like a Jetcard program, but without the central aircraft management. I'd guess that aircraft and flight crew quality would be more variable. The other nice thing is that you don't pay for capacity that you don't use.

This is from a guy with no personal experience - I only read the website, so take what I say for what it's worth . . .

http://www.sentientjet.com/pricing/jets/jets.aspx?cat=5&id=5721&pref=y

Last edited:
I wonder how many 500 hour part time $20 and hour FOs who never touch the controls fly through charter Sentient? Remember, you get what you pay for. I'd rather both my pilots be typed in relatively new AC and making a "decent" salary.

miles otoole said:
I wonder how many 500 hour part time $20 and hour FOs who never touch the controls fly through charter Sentient? Remember, you get what you pay for. I'd rather both my pilots be typed in relatively new AC and making a "decent" salary.
Alot.

I used to do Sentient charters through a former employer. I flew single pilot most of the time, but Sentient required two pilots. Although there were other qualified pilots at the company, the company always recruited local CFIs to sit in the right seat. My former employer made the Sentient paperwork look like they were emploees, but they weren't. In fact, they had absolutely no 135 training at all. They sat in the right seat when passengers were on board. They didn't work radios, pull gear or anything except provide good conversation to yours truly during the flight. On the empty legs, I'd let them fly. YIKES. Good thing they weren't flying with passengers on board, but ya know, it really wasn't their fault, having received no training and all.

Frax vs. charter

We can write for quite along time about frax vs. charter. Frax is definitely more expensive, but worth it. You may want to ask Payne Stewart (but you can't) about his flights on well maintained charter planes with experienced capable crews. His crash made many think twice about cheap charters you do not know well. Unfortunately for him, being a Flex owner, he should have waited the few extra hours for the FlexJet to arrive.

Fly safe.

P.S. -- how can we put a monetary value on knowing that Mr. NetJetWife is in the right seat of our flight. --- just being sarcastic NJW -- no harm meant. But it is true -- he is an experinced pilot and not all chaters have them.

Latest resources

Back