Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What does FSDO need 2C for SIC Type Issuance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HawkerF/O

I'm headed to G450 initial next month, but we are needing to get a local guy an SIC type on the 450 to cover an emergency if it pops up while I am at school. We do have contract help lined up, but they are all out of towners, so if something unplanned jumped off in the middle of the night, we want someone who can be on the scene in an hour or so. With that said, what do we need to take to the FSDO in order for them to issue an SIC type to the part-timer we use? Also, is it something they issue on the spot, or does it take a while? Thanks in advance.

I'm headed to G450 initial next month, but we are needing to get a local guy an SIC type on the 450 to cover an emergency if it pops up while I am at school. We do have contract help lined up, but they are all out of towners, so if something unplanned jumped off in the middle of the night, we want someone who can be on the scene in an hour or so. With that said, what do we need to take to the FSDO in order for them to issue an SIC type to the part-timer we use? Also, is it something they issue on the spot, or does it take a while? Thanks in advance.

sic type can be issued on the spot. the part timer needs to show a record of training and a filled out 8710

Does the training need to be given by a CFI or can an ATP do it? Does the 8710 need to be signed by a CFI, or just filled out by the applicant?

Exactly. If something to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, etc comes up, we don't want our local guy getting in any trouble when he gets back home. Any farther than the points mentioned, we'll wait for an experienced int'l pilot to make the trip.
where does it say you need a sic type,or are you preparing for international flying

Mexico or Canada will not check but it is required. In fact the few places ive been in europe didnt check either.

but here is the offical word from http://web.nbaa.org/public/ops/sic/

The final rule requires pilots who plan to fly outside U.S. airspace and land in foreign countries, and who are acting as second-in-command of an aircraft certificated for operations with a minimum flight crew of at least two pilots, to obtain an SIC pilot type rating.

Also further down on that page it explains how to get a SIC type.

Basically get the guy familar with the plane fill out an 8710 get it signed off and take it in.

Also the instructor doesnt have to be a CFI if he holds an ATP in the plane, cause remember ATPs can instruct in the AC they are typed in.

Hope this helps and soory for the poor grammar and spelling

Also the instructor doesnt have to be a CFI if he holds an ATP in the plane, cause remember ATPs can instruct in the AC they are typed in.

This is not true. (I believe that this very subject came up recently around here, also, if you are interested.)

An ATP can only give dual in a type rated a/c under an 'approved' 121 (or 135, too, I think) training program. This rule does not apply to part 91

Latest resources

Back