Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PAPA FOX!

Super Bowl bound 2008!!
This thread will hopefully be a breath of fresh air from all the negativity on flightinfo!

Curious to know what you most enjoy about flying. If you can't think of something, that ought to be a litmus test to hang it up!

What I enjoy the most by far, is on a rainy day (like since Sat. here in New England!!!!) picking up my IFR clearance taxing to takeoff, lifting off into the wet soup switching to departure and minutes later popping out on top of a solid OVC into bright sunshine. Few, if any things in aviation give me as much of a high! This IMHO even beats flying in the Rockies with 100+mi of vis! Flying over water at sunset with sct clouds also comes close too.

Haven't been flying that long, not even solo yet, but what I enjoy the most is listening to the steady sound of the engine, making a left turn, and just looking down at the ground and knowing that I'm so high above it.

I used to enjoy that taste in the back of my throat, you know the one...you get it when the radar goes on the fritz and you're IMC between level 5 cells, so you gotta use the ADF and those morsels of information from ATC to save your hiney. Or, when you're climbing out at night while creating an interesting ice sculpture after departing 100 vv and 1/2 and there isn't a pirep in the region.

But I don't get that taste in my throat anymore...so now I just look forward to snapping out of a nap and seeing the DME still counting down. I almost forgot...the chicks. Yea, the chicks...that's the ticket.

The ease and quickness of getting from point A to point B. When call to evacuate the houston area came before the hurricane. I flew from my airport west of San Antonio to Houston to pick up someone and bring them to SA in a C182. What was taking people to drive 20-24 hrs due to traffic took 1 and 1/2 hours via plane. Did this at night and seeing the miles and miles of tail lights on every highway made me smile I wasn't down there.

the instant flight begins. you know, right as the mains lift off it's the coolest feeling ever.

Being upside-down while getting 3 G's out of an ol' 152.

Blowin up a PT-6.

Landing in the mud.

Stuff like that.

trol1374 said:
The ease and quickness of getting from point A to point B. When call to evacuate the houston area came before the hurricane. I flew from my airport west of San Antonio to Houston to pick up someone and bring them to SA in a C182. What was taking people to drive 20-24 hrs due to traffic took 1 and 1/2 hours via plane. Did this at night and seeing the miles and miles of tail lights on every highway made me smile I wasn't down there.

I SO have to agree with trol1374 on this one! I love not having a job where I fight that kind of traffic every weekday.

What do I enjoy most? I think the stories. The stuff that happens, even on routine flights that you remember.

I'm one of the few pilots in our neighborhood, and almost no one talks about their job, mainly because their job usually has a specific frame of reference that no one else can relate to, or it's just not very exciting (accounting)? Flying is one of the few jobs that most people can relate to, even if only in a vague sense...that's what those hands are for! Or that we pilots can break down without giving a technical lesson to the listener.

Also, when pilots of any stripe get together, we can usually tell stories that everyone understands. Though the term "brotherhood" gets used and abused a lot, there is some validity to the saying.

FastCargo

Flying over NYC and not having to deal with ground traffic, passing through a thunderstorm that just dissipated and being met with valley fog and a sunset on the other side, and seeing Mt. Rainier stick up above the 10,000' tops are just a few reasons.

Latest resources

Back