Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What did you do part time while you CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rent a cop as well

I can also pitch in for security.

For me the schedule, ability to study on job made it attractive and I was not able to get back in the office anyways with the flight-training schedule I had. But I can't wait to get out of it finally. It gets old that everyone treats you as the lowest dirt. Also, you will meet the dumbest and laziest persons among your colleagues, who will sometimes be your supervisors.

The good part:
It is a job that everyone can get anywhere in the country and everyone is qualified. You can work all three shifts so you can adjust your work to your day flying. Part-timers are always welcome.

Right in this moment I am getting $10/h, limited dental, full healthcare, 2 weeks paid off, and 5 days sick pay to watch a monitor and type this message. (Most security companies offer less and no benefits though.) All the studying that I had to do from commercial to CFII was done while I got paid for it and I am not even ripping them off. Before I got hired I told them right away that I would like to end up at a post where it is possible to study, and they gave me one. It is a pretty common job for students.

At some places you can do it armed and get like $12-14/h for doing nothing still. Of course I would not do it in FLL port, or in a jewelry store, or in a Publix in North Miami. However at a reception desk of a closed office building after hours... nothing dangerous about that.

So if you have no trade that you can put into work in the afternoons than this is pretty easy money as long you stay away from community gates ‘cause those will drive you nuts. I am just about to start CFIing so I will have to see how it will work out with that, but for now I am planning to keep it for the weekends… helps paying the friggin training induced ccard debt back.

Collected returnable bottles and cans.

I played in a band on the weekends. I never scheduled a student before noon on the weekends!! Also did traffic watch and averaged at times 30 hours a week doing that.

• Writing & selling books and articles.
  • Managing customers' airplanes. (I've got more time in cattle class now than when I worked for an airline.)
  • Doing pre-prebuy inspections on potential airplanes for clients
The only thing I do on a limited basis now is sleep.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Became an alcoholic.....

Lots of musicians here, eh???

I did the same playing in a lame cover band (original band w/ no $) Friday nights at the local whoore bar at the college I was attending, only got me laid thrice g'dmmit.

Sorry for the run-on, grammar nazi's

-barnyard

I'm not trying to offend you but why would you be a flight instructor. Its a waste of time. Instead work a full time job making 40grand a year, buy a 152, and fly the crap out of it on the weekend. Then you wont be broke all the time and you can fly on your schedule and log more time.

heavy_d said:
I'm not trying to offend you but why would you be a flight instructor. Its a waste of time. Instead work a full time job making 40grand a year, buy a 152, and fly the crap out of it on the weekend. Then you wont be broke all the time and you can fly on your schedule and log more time.
Because you won't learn jack about flying if you circle the pattern for 1000 hours. Plus no future employer would look very highly at that type of experience.

Always had thought about working for a funeral home doing the "pick ups" since I heard the job paid extremely well and was as part time or as full time as one could want. A friend lived in an apartment above a funeral home for free since he was a full time "pick up" guy for them and was on call like 3 to 4 days a week and that was it. A few stories from him kind of left a sour taste in my mouth so needless to say I never tested how "good" of a part time job this possibly could have been.. Probably one of the easiest part time jobs if you could handle this kind of stuff. Just couldn't convince myself that it was the way to go. It does appear that many younger folks are getting into this type of work due to money and ease of the job.

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:
Always had thought about working for a funeral home doing the "pick ups" since I heard the job paid extremely well and was as part time or as full time as one could want.
A buddy of mine used to fly corpses in a Chieftain(I know, you're talking about GROUND pickups). He said it was the nastiest thing he ever did. During climbout, the corpses would release built up gas, resulting in a stench so nasty you can't even imagine(his description, not mine). He said that a couple of times, he would hear a CRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKK sound, look back, and see the lid of the coffin open, and the corpse halfway out. Apparently, it occurs when the gas in the corpse expands a certain way(during climb), causing pressure to be applied in such a manner that the corpse "sits up". He said the first time it happened, he chopped the power, made a quick descent, and landed...thinking the guy was still alive. DOH! :D

FracCapt said:
A buddy of mine used to fly corpses in a Chieftain(I know, you're talking about GROUND pickups). He said it was the nastiest thing he ever did. During climbout, the corpses would release built up gas, resulting in a stench so nasty you can't even imagine(his description, not mine). He said that a couple of times, he would hear a CRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKK sound, look back, and see the lid of the coffin open, and the corpse halfway out. Apparently, it occurs when the gas in the corpse expands a certain way(during climb), causing pressure to be applied in such a manner that the corpse "sits up". He said the first time it happened, he chopped the power, made a quick descent, and landed...thinking the guy was still alive. DOH! :D
Ahaaa.... **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** man.. I am sure that caught his attention on more than one occasion. I have heard similar stories and one guy geared up I guess.

sure would make for some interesting times though.

3 5 0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back