Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What counts as a "Hold" for IFR currency?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UndauntedFlyer

Ease the nose down
I really can not find anything on this.

So the questin is: What counts as a hold for IFR currency? Do we need to make it at least once around the race track? Or, how about a turn and 1-min outbound leg, would that count? Or this, I was asked to "hold" short of a runway the other day. I "held" short for 4-minutes until I was cleared by ground control to cross the runway. Does that count? I wouldn't think so but maybe somebody out there would want to count it.

I guess the answer is this: If you think you "held," and you think it meets the requirements, just put it in your log as "holding" procedures without additional comments.

Your questions or comments are welcome.....

I've heard differeing opinions on this one, from a complete hold (crossing the fix two or three times) to just doing the entry and/or intercepting inbound.

I'm sure it's probably somewhere in the middle.

-mini

UndauntedFlyer said:
I guess the answer is this: If you think you "held," and you think it meets the requirements, just put it in your log as "holding" procedures without additional comments.
They'll never know one way or the other. ;)

So I guess whatever you think constitutes a hold works, just make sure you have the correct book answer for them when asked!

My personal opinion is that entering a hold, and intercepting inbound, would constitute holding for reasons of currency. If they expected a hold to be 2 or 3 turns, then they surely would've put it in the regs. The FAA is too legalistic not to. The biggest thing about holds that people need to stay current on is the entry. Anyone can fly 1 minute legs, or 5 mile legs, but the big thing is getting into the hold properly and at the right spot. Being able to do that and flying atleast the outbound, and turn inbound, should constitute holding in most books.

Last edited:
I am gonna go with crossing the fix twice (once on the entry and a second to complete the inbound leg). I don't think there is a "legal" answer to that question.

...and I'm gonna go you one further...what's "(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems"?
All of these requirements (6 instrument approaches, holding, and tracking) have no real definement within the wording of the regulation itself.

Seems to me the lawmakers leave that up to the integrity of the pilot himself. Just as it should be. Required time and/or events are for the purpose of insuring proficiency. And I honestly can remember a time when pilots knew when they were proficient and/or needed practice for proficiency. Pilots were not of the kind of people who only wanted to "get by" with a legal definition of these requirements...

But I digress. This question on "what is a hold" will be bounced around just like "what is a legal loggable instrument approach?"

You probably won't hear too much about my question on intercepting and tracking because most every one is comfortable with the popular "tracking a final approach course", but I say that is different - that's an instrument approach and (iii) is different from (i). The purpose being to require some radial/bearing tracking as in an airway or a transition to an IAF with a full approach, so that we don't become totally dependent on radar vectors.

I think the hold means twice over the fix - from entry to established on course over the fix.

I also think that the pilot - or the instructor when it is a dual flight - has the power to call it as he see fit. The same as on an instrument approach.

We should have "prefered guidelines", but the final call is the pilot or instructor in charge. If the actual or simulated hold or approach is "almost complete", and proficiency is consistent with similar recent events, we all know when we have done/seen enough.

Regardless of the letter of the published FAR requirement, I would think a demonstration of proficiency would include a proper holding pattern entry, proper heading control inbound and outbound correcting for crosswinds, proper turn at each end correcting for winds, proper timing inbound and outbound correcting for winds and a proper exit from holding. Proper radio procedures entering and leaving holding should also be demonstrated.

When do you report the hold ? Is it when you first cross the fix on the hold entry or it when you hit the fix the second time.

HS

Holding Short said:
When do you report the hold ? Is it when you first cross the fix on the hold entry or it when you hit the fix the second time.

HS

I do believe it's when you pass the fix the second time, and you're established in the hold.... with your minute inbound leg...

My big problem now is figuring out HP entries..... Anybody with good mental tips to remember which headings give you which pattern entries?

So no one thinks that if you hold short of a runway for a while that that would count as holding?

You are holding, aren't you? :)

Latest resources

Back