Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What could low oil prices do for Delta in 09?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta Air Lines could see $5 bln benefit in '09 with $50 oil

By Christopher Hinton
Last update: 8:51 a.m. EST Dec. 2, 2008

Delta Airlines could see a $5 billion benefit in 2009 if oil remains at around $50 a barrel, said Ed Bastian, the company's president. In a Tuesday meeting with analysts in New York, Bastian said the rapid decline in fuel prices have more than offset a decline in passenger numbers and the slower revenue growth that followed. With oil prices most recently around $50 a barrel, passenger revenue would have to decline more than 20% to lose the cost benefit of cheaper fuel, and not even the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, were able to do that, he said. For 2008, post-merger Delta will have paid $100 a barrel equivalent for jet fuel. Shares of Delta was up 3.5% in premarket trading to $8.24.

If that is the case, there better not be any furloughs, and our profit sharing checks should be "YOU---GE"......(huge said by Donald Trump) Fingers crossed!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Enlighten us, Gen------

How do you manage to whack-off with your "fingers crossed?"

-Interesting....Multi-talented turdtruck!

We don't need to lean on Airtran too hard or we will be competing against Airtran AND Southwest.

If SW is allowed to get a foot in the door, things could get nasty.

Hey, I am not trying to make you mad, just stating that I have heard that we do have plans to vigorously compete again with you. And, with lower fuel and possibly $5 billion in benefits for 09 alone, I would think that those savings for us could make it tough on many competitors.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Don't worry General Lee, I am not mad at anybody. I think the competition between us has probably made both of us stronger players in the market.

However, the higher fuel prices this summer hurt Airtran more than other players in the industry due to the fact that fuel cost peaked at about 52% of total cost for us. On the flip side, the fuel price moderation that has occured will benefit us more. The lower fuel goes (hopefully down to 30% of total cost), the more important non-fuel costs become, and there is little doubt Airtran has a large advantage in that area (including about a 10% advantage compared with Southwest as well).

Enlighten us, Gen------

How do you manage to whack-off with your "fingers crossed?"

-Interesting....Multi-talented turdtruck!

I just think about your Mom and Sister french kissing... it works everytime!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Also said lower oil prices hurt the 9. If prices would of stayed up the 9 would be doing more flying because they would of parked more RJs. With oil dropping the RJs will stay a little longer.

This is exactly opposite to what Ed Bastian said at NATCO about a week and a half ago.... He said lower oil prices are KEEPING the 9 around, and that the there is an excess of 50 seat regional jets...

We don't need to lean on Airtran too hard or we will be competing against Airtran AND Southwest.

If SW is allowed to get a foot in the door, things could get nasty.

Not really. Things are different at Delta and SWA than in the past. SWA is hedged out for now, has higher costs, and Delta lower costs and broader network and staying power to match SWA. I say bring it.

Delta reminds me of United back in 1998. Flying high and feeling invincible.

M

Delta reminds me of United back in 1998. Flying high and feeling invincible.

M

Hey, if you want to go there, perhaps we can get into the USAir thing too. I don't have a problem with that. USAir reminds me of USAir back in 1998, except worse.

Hey, if you want to go there, perhaps we can get into the USAir thing too. I don't have a problem with that. USAir reminds me of USAir back in 1998, except worse.

He doesn't work for Us Air. He wrote it right here.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=848465#post848465

He claims to works fo United. He wrote it here:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=1224345#post1224345

His posts are petty because he's getting furloughed from United. I can't blame him. He's never fully recovered from washing out of Gulfstream International, and can't recover any of that lost money from PFT.

Dope,

How is that Granny thing going you pervert? Still trying do become a pilot? Its not easy with your severe case of tourettes.
Anyway, word is that you are not even 5'7'' and that you still do not have an ATP you sick bastard.

Good luck shorty,

M

Latest resources

Back