Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wakeboard said:
KeroseneSnorter,

How would you know? From statistics? My dad just interviewed a 28 year old, and my dad was hired at FedEx when he was 27. It is possible. The average age being hired at FedEx is 35, and that is because these guys joined the military and had a 10 year commitment - that is why the average age is so high. My dad is the one who helped my instructor get a interview at Pinnacle, but he now flies for Chataqwua (sp. again). My dad got his ATP on his 23 birthday with 2200 hours. He was a captain for People Express by the time he was 24 and hopped on with FedEx at 27. Some of you may have a bitter taste towards pilots who are younger than yourself and have figured out what they wanted to to early and are doing everything they can to make it happen. I'm 20 right now and by the time I graduate from school I will have my time and the industry will be on the rise again.

Ah yes, youth.

Please print your post that I quoted above and put in in a safe place.

In fifteen years remove it from it's storage place and read it.

I guarantee that you will want to slap yourself in the face 10 to 20 times.

P.S. It sounds like your dad joined Fedex back when they were a dippy little Falcon operator. So just to clarify, as your father will attest, it was just pure luck that he is where he is now. I once flew with a poor S.O.B. that left Fedex back when they only operated ragged out falcons for next to no money. He left for a much better job, Currently he is going down with the ship at USAir wishing he were still at Fedex. He would be #1 at Fedex had he stayed.

Crystal Ball? Nope, just luck......Some good, some bad.

By the way, you are 20 with only 350 hours? Whats your problem, I was pushing 600 or so by then......you better get on the ball there bub if you expect to have that 5000 TT that Fedex likes by 27!! ;)

DesertFalcon.. I agree with your quote below. I would also add that success applies to just about any avenue and career path people chose. Aviation is not unique in the fact that it has significant challenges, risks, etc. These exist in many other jobs, fields, etc. I have an MBA, manage a group of application developers, and are fighting off outsourcing to India with a whip and a chair.

"I would suggest, the newbies to this industry be aware that most of your success in this career is pure persistence and a LOT of LUCK!"

Mayday,
Your a low time pilot with the most positive attitude i've seen on this site. keep it up and don't let any of these bitter people stop you from you dreams and you'll make it far. take the advise given above put your post in a capsule and pull it out you flight case on your last flight at 60 while walking of whatever plane your flying for whatever company your working for and and pat yourself on your back.

Here is the reality. To many pilots not enough jobs. That may explain why I get up at 4:30 am to fly traffic for free. Take some free advise... invest your time and money in something lucrative, then buy your lancair 400 and fly when you want to....

This thread seems to be a representation of the industry as a whole.

RSVM410 started with concern and caution about the flood of students and pilot mills that are painting rosey pictures. Immediately a young starry-eyed student evokes his optimism and desire to make it big.

A less emotional look at the thread shows experienced pilots that have been through it all and are still trying to make it through offer their wisdom of the industry. And the young guns continue to see the dream and listen to the kit darby types, I think it's called selective perception.

I haven't posted on here in awhile and I have been re-evaluating what I want to do with my life and a possible aviation career. I love flying and have always dreamed about it but recently the rosey glasses have been fading. Now I'm leaning more along the lines of 24/7's advice of buying a plane and enjoying it on my terms.

The facts are that the industry continues to skid out of control. If the majors somehow stay alive the thousands of furloughed pilots leave little opportunity. That situation has pushed the industry down at every level. Now new pilots aspire to work for a regional and minimum wage, what other career choice has any similarity?

It's simple economics 101 for me - supply and demand, and with more furloughs and more wet tickets everyday that does not create a positive graph.

I want to thank many of you on here for the advice over the last or so. I also want to say, and this may sound like an oxymoron, but don't give up your dreams if it means so much to you but proceed with a realistic expectation. Do it for the love of flying, not the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Always be a demand

Flying is part of the transportation industry in the US. There will always be a demand for pilots. Pilots will still be able to make a respectable wage of $100K/yr after 10 years in the business. Some may see this as unacceptable and elect to pursue other careers, which may allow those who really want to fly to move into the profession. Alot of people may see these as slave wages, but I have never seen it and am very satisfied with my career.

six figure incomes in any line of work don't come easy - most require some formal education, and most importantly dedication, commitment, hard work. 10 years to make 6 figures is probably about right - in many lines of work.

You’re right, there will always be a demand. But for now supply far exceeds the demand. Hence 15+ waiting list to instruct at the university I graduated from. I know guys who are still working at x-grocery store, waiting for their chance to instruct a year after graduation.

The banks have become very liberal in loaning cash to fly in the recent years, let’s put 2 and 2 together.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back