Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATP Rated waiters!

VNugget said:
I really think it's great that some people get off on telling others that there stupid for doing something they've always wanted to do.

Do you really thing that anyone is "getting off" on telling anything? Where did anyone call anyone stupid? Your perception is majorly warped.

I am also a kid just embarking on an aviation career, and I, for one, would like to THANK everyone here telling us the straight facts instead of a sugarcoated view, so we know what to really expect. It's bad to live in a fantasy world, and it's even worse to WANT to live in a fantasy world.

It's going to be great. My dad fly's for the majors. I think if he thought it was such a bad investment, he would probably tell me so. So see you in the majors.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.
I am not telling anyone to kill there dreams, I am trying to make sure you have the FULL picture of what your getting into....

I bet your dad doesnt work for USAIR or UAL or DAL...there is no way your father would not give you the same warning.....and I dont care where he works, the same applys everywhere....you have a long line to wait in...of course sounds like Daddy will be footing the bill so what do you have to loose? Go for it....The resturants of this country are filled with ATP rated waiters!

Col. DumbA$$

"fact"

rvsm410... first of all, however you define "major" carrier is irrelevant. Fact... we live in an ever-increasing global environment. Fact... until we perfect the science of "teleporting" people all over the world, airline travel will exist, and continue to grow. There may be rough spots, evolutions, "recessions" within the industry, but the increasing demand for globalization will drive the demand for air travel over the long term... fact.

This is a competitive industry with high standards, and some unique considerations.. so is being a professional athlete, navy pilot, astronaut, doctor, executive, etc. Would you discourage every aspiring person in those fields to give it up, because their dreams are unrealistic, there is too much competition? You sound like one of those people who would never encourage risk taking to get what you want, but rather to remain in the "safety" of another unfulfilling, unrewarding, miserable place.... only left with regrets later on.

"14,000+ hours of PIC, 11,000+ in heavy transport aircraft, Dispatcher for 6 years, BS degree...age 45.....know lots of people in the industry, especially at the legacy carriers...wrked for 3 airlines now....and yet I have NO chance of working for a major airline...none..nada....fact"

... with that kind of attitude, I'm sure you won't have a chance at working for a major airline.

I have a lot of contacts within the industry and not one of them has regretted pursuing a flying career. The airline industry works in cycles - the good times come and go and you just have to wait them out - everybody knows this. Local FBOs and flight schools are not booming nowadays like they used. Everytime I go out to my local airport just about all of the training aircraft are out there just sitting. My dad was telling me about when he was an instructor back in the 70's that the planes never sat around and there was always a large constant flow of students coming in for lessons compared to nowadays. My dad has been more than encouraging to me about pursuing flying as a career. My instructor has been with Chawtaqua (sp?) and couldn't be more excited about it. My dad has flown for a major airline for twenty one years now and has given me a lot of good first hand advice. Airlines want to see what kind of person you are - they know you have the ratings and experience - they want a person who isn't a jerk and have to sit next to them for hours.

My first choice would have been the military. But Im overweight, wear glasses, and used to take anti depressents when I was younger. Some of us have limited choices in life.

Mayday, see the forest for the trees, pal.

mayday1 said:
with that kind of attitude, I'm sure you won't have a chance at working for a major airline.
The ingnorance of youth....what a waste....go on dude just let my points go right over your head....I am not trying to discourage you from flying or having a goal of one day working for a major airline......

But who will that Major airline be in the future? It maybe be one of todays regional airlines.....probably will in your lifetime....

Go for it, and learn the hard way....

By the way American West is a pretty good company to work for, but were not considered a Major airline...I am happy where I am at, but it took along time to get here.

wakeboard said:
I'm going to be flying for a regional when I'm 23 and fly for FedEx by 27.

If you do some research you will find that your goals do not match the hiring data. Regionals, maybe. Fedex at 27? Doubtful.

Add 8 to 10 years to that and you will be getting close.

I think most students realize that there is a shortage of airline pilots and that all the people from WWI, WWII, and Vietnam will retire in the next few years and that pilots will be able to pick the airline of their choice and name their salaries. It's a pilots market and even if 100,000 pilots a year were being trained at full speed now there would still be a shortage. I for one am glad to be in a field that I can earn a seven figure income and only work four days a month and then flying only the routes I choose and depart and come back when it suits me. There has never been a better time to get into aviation.

rumpletumbler said:
I think most students realize that there is a shortage of airline pilots and that all the people from WWI, WWII, and Vietnam will retire in the next few years and that pilots will be able to pick the airline of their choice and name their salaries. It's a pilots market and even if 100,000 pilots a year were being trained at full speed now there would still be a shortage. I for one am glad to be in a field that I can earn a seven figure income and only work four days a month and then flying only the routes I choose and depart and come back when it suits me. There has never been a better time to get into aviation.

Kit Darby, is that you? :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back