• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Airtran brings to the table

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who ever started this I cant wait to have a beer with you! Got allota friends at AT. Glad we are joining groups against the evil empires of the aviator world!

I am thinking a lot more on this board need to follow that lead and do the same. We are all on the same team now, like it or not. JMO :)

Though AT guys won't be considered new hires- there is a time honored tradition at 7:37 (I guess at 7:17 as well) that needs to be considered here....

Just saying that Herb shot is a right of passage...

Anyone up for a 7800 person shot when it's all said and done...? (or 10 shots?)

:)

Gotta say, this thread has to be the most appropriate and encouraging thread I've read in years on FI. I'm starting to feel slightly LUVed...forgot what that was like. Good luck to all of us, it's gonna be a kick-ass operation once we put the next year of integration behind us.

Welcome aboard! I'm towards the bottom of the SWA seniority list and obviously the SLI is what is at the top of everyone's minds, but if you start thinking about the combined operations it's tough not to think these 2 route systems blend together perfectly. I can't imagine how there isn't going to be HUGE growth once the merger is complete. Based on the info I saw at lowfaresfarther.com (merger website) AirTran right now flies a total of 35 departures from Las Vegas, Chicago (Midway), Phoenix, Denver, Houston (Hobby), Dallas (Love Field) and Los Angeles COMBINED. So essentially we are going to be able to connect all those cities to the major cities that you currently operate from that we don't serve - mainly Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, D.C. Reagan, etc etc. That doesn't even consider international, the expanded slots at La Guardia and all the smaller markets you fly into. Obvisouly there is other competition and the Legacies will protect their turf, but I find it hard to imagine we won't be seeing new city pairs with huge population centers popping up left and right. And if the company is successful executing their gameplan and we are growing at 400-500 pilots a year that will quickly help heal some of the wounds that are bound to come from the SLI. Just my 2 cents. I'm looking forward to non-reving down to the Caribbean finally!

Welcome aboard! I'm towards the bottom of the SWA seniority list and obviously the SLI is what is at the top of everyone's minds, but if you start thinking about the combined operations it's tough not to think these 2 route systems blend together perfectly. I can't imagine how there isn't going to be HUGE growth once the merger is complete. Based on the info I saw at lowfaresfarther.com (merger website) AirTran right now flies a total of 35 departures from Las Vegas, Chicago (Midway), Phoenix, Denver, Houston (Hobby), Dallas (Love Field) and Los Angeles COMBINED. So essentially we are going to be able to connect all those cities to the major cities that you currently operate from that we don't serve - mainly Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, D.C. Reagan, etc etc. That doesn't even consider international, the expanded slots at La Guardia and all the smaller markets you fly into. Obvisouly there is other competition and the Legacies will protect their turf, but I find it hard to imagine we won't be seeing new city pairs with huge population centers popping up left and right. And if the company is successful executing their gameplan and we are growing at 400-500 pilots a year that will quickly help heal some of the wounds that are bound to come from the SLI. Just my 2 cents. I'm looking forward to non-reving down to the Caribbean finally!

^^^This^^^
well said brother- just have to think a bit past your immediate situation and fears- we can bleed fighting each other as the only ones that can compete with the other- but why?

As a SWA F/O I think SWA MGMT just hit another grand slam. They hit ten grand slams for every strike out, and this is yet another brilliant move. I think the only people that should be concerned is Mother Delta, because their domestic market just took a dump.

Guys, SWA is hiring in 2011, so obviously this merger (it is a merger once it's all said and done) is with the intent to grow, and grow they will. Let's see, ATL needs to be connected to the rest of SWA's network, that requires way more than what Airtran already has. Wright Ammendment is closer and closer every day to going away. The international destinations Airtran has is only the beggining. SLI will take care of itself, I think in the end we all will be happy because SWA just got stronger and in the end that's what really matters. A/T guys and gals, SWA MGMT isn't perfect by any means, but they definately try to do things right. I don't know about you all but I would rather work for the shark than have to swim next to him. Welcome aboard.

OK, lets get some stuff straight while all the love fest is going down. This is serious business, so listen up:

What does Airtran bring to the deal? Well, you guys need to buy some nice quality sunglasses, not those cheap $9.99 ones at Walmart. You need to look good in Vegas baby!

Bring a good liver, again, quality is expensive, buy two if you need.

A side note, at SWA bags do fly free, they usually fly the AM trips out of PHX and OAK. Just letting you in on this as a professional courtesy, ignore at your own risk.

More later.

A week into this and I haven't talked to one SW guy thats happy about this, maybe its a PHX thing! How many AT folks are as sick to their stomach as well? I sense a "Little" problem down the road. I understand that this is above our pay grade, but geez! Lets just hope this deal falls apart! Pronto!

To answer the question originally posted by the thread title:

1. Major airline status
2. Profitable (never in bankruptcy)
3. Excellent product (Business Class, Assigned Seating)
4. International operations (Welcome aboard)
5. 136 Boeing jets with 1700 pilots to fly them
6. Proven track record
7. FAA award-winning Maintenance Program and staff
8. 50 B-737 700 & 800 series aircraft orders locked in. (This equals guaranteed growth)
9. Access to the busiest airport in the country - KATL (which SWA could not get into on its own)
10. A stronger merged airline than either airline could have been if kept seperate. (Achieves "critical mass" to compete with the other 2 mega-carriers: the combined Delta/Northwest and the soon to be combined United/Continental.

11. Scabs.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back