• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What about Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is really disheartening to read this. People thinking of PFTing need to consider the long term consequenses. It sounds as if you are no longer a young man with years to burn. So it is understandable that you want to jump at what appears to be the fastest way to get an airline job. While not liking the idea of PFT, if this were pre 911 I could almost agree with you. The catch now is that the mainline seat that could make the whole investment worth while is most likely not going to be there at the end of this rainbow.

What you need to prepare yourself for is a career spent at a regional airline. If something better happens then great. But with the number of extremely qualified pilots beating the pavement right now, I wouldn't count on it.

So you have to ask yourself, what is best for my career? It seems to me that the money used for PFT could be better used to help make ends meet at home while you find yourself a position teaching or hauing checks and earning that experience that may someday save your arse.

I say all this because I am a struggling 1st year FO with a wife and 2 year old daughter. I work at an airline with great work rules, but one-way or another it's still first year pay. So in order to make ends meet, we are living with my wife's parents. Not quite where I thought I would be at 33 years old. And this is without having to pay all that money to PFT. Think this over carefully and don't let the salesman blow smoke at you. Earn your hours and go work for someone who values you as an employee.

Peace and good luck

Ok.....my turn. Riddlebratt, BRA speaks the truth. I am about to finish my first year at Colgan. I am single with absolutely no debt, and most of the time am living paycheck to paycheck. The people that I know in next months Beech upgrade class have all been here a little over 2 years. So after you dig your 18K hole, don't plan on starting to fill it for at least 2 yrs. I might suggest to you what I did. For about 5K, instead of 18K, go get a aircraft dispatch certificate. Then apply as a dispatcher to the regionals, make somewhere between 23K-30K to start, have 12-15 days off to instruct or do other flying. The Chief Pilot usually hangs out in dispatch. Get to know the him and other pilots at the airline. Then you will have your foot in the door when hiring starts up again.

I don't think anyone here is trying to "bash" you, just help you. Everyone here has travelled the road you are about to take. It is just that right now is not the time to break into the industry and expect a fast track to a higher paying job. Alot of captains I fly with are furloughed major airline pilots with over 1000 people above them to get called back. It is going to be several years before these guys get called back, so when do you think you will have a chance? I think your obligation is to your family. Get a job that pays (which is hard for just about any industry right now) stay current, and build time, and keep the dream alive.

Good Luck!

FlightTraker

I have to agree with this. I have been here over 3 years and I am paycheck to paycheck and need mywife to work too. I have gotten a lot out of this job but money is definately not it. Consider how lonfg it would really take to get the money back. How much of your $20 an hour can you spare towards it. I am still paying off credit cards from less than a year as an FO. I don't want to think of the hole I would be in if it had taken 2 years.

Blue Skies

The last few guys that replied have given the info that i need from their exper. @ this Airline and the whole picture with the situation from a pilot living the life. I appreciate the real view!!! thanks guys Riddlebratt.

Hey Riddlebrat...you're a real loser. Why not take the mony you're gonna pay for training and put food on your table for you're family. You won't be able to make it in this field so go back to your 3X the pay job and just keep CFI'ing on the weekends. That's how you'll make it!!!!!!!

Riddlebratt said:
I have a family to support and cannot continue this CFI sh*t to much longer or I will definately be homeless.

How can someone be so poor they can't continue to be a CFI, but still have enough $ to pay for a job at Colgan (or anywhere else)?

Glad you've seen the light, 'RB', though I'm disheartened that it's only after you've heard how much Colgan guys struggle financially. Know that it isn't just at Colgan, but at all regionals. We aren't paid that much $, and, on top of that, many of the 'industry leaders' have taken concessions or acccepted contracts with poor pay levels.

"It's a hard knock life, for us . . . "

-Boo!

Stillaboo I am not crying broke but I don't have a bottomless pocket either. Just like any other pilot out there with age creaping up on he or she you just try to get the ball rolling. I spoke with these people at the Air Inc. convention. Thats why i asked the panel for intelligent information for me to form my own opinion....... thats called doing research for yourself....and getting the information from pilots at this airline is the best way to get the downlow. I love flying and would go to the ends of the world to accomplish my dream. I'm just trying to get to the same level as everyone wish to be at when things turn around. If you read my original post you will se that I'm only trying to get good info.

Desiday the only real loser in this whole wide world is your mother and thats because she had You!!!!!! Grow up and stop hating on other people who seek INFORMATION YOU IDIOT

Riddlebratt,

Please post specific questions for your information-gathering and we will be glad to assist you. Your original post is vague as to what you would like to know.

Rude Awakening for Riddlebrat

Everyone leave Riddlebrat and his diapers alone, for he is in for a VERY rude awakening.

First of all, just where do you think you're gonna go with a whopping 500 hours of "purchased" PIC time. There are loads of pilots with 10 times that much and can't get a phone call returned from anybody.

Second, if you have 10 to 20 grand to toss into the scumbag-for-training circle, then save it and provide for your family. Stop complaining and get a real paying job...and build flight time on the side....trust me, the jobs ain't gonna come by that fast anytime soon. Just ask anyone who got their CFI in 1990 or so.

Third, hope your wife and kids are very understanding, because you won't see them much and there ain't gonna be any big presents under the x-mas tree any time soon.

Just what we need, another 500 hour wonder pilot, wearing Tom Cruise "Top Gun" glasses, all starry-eyed to fly a shiny jet for some race-to-the-bottom sh*t-bag airline for 18,000 a year.

PT Barnum said: "There is a sucker born every minute, and 2 people to take him"
That's it, I'm out. Flame away.

Latest resources

Back