• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What a piece of Junk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think a lot of people on this board get schooled by avbug and become defensive about it, while others learn from it.

Like it or not, avbug may take unpopular positions at times, but he is mostly by-the-book in his interpretations. Now whether he practices a lot of what he preaches is a different matter. Although pedagogical theory and real-world practice are two different matters, most of what he states is technically correct.

NYCPilot said:
I think a lot of people on this board get schooled by avbug and become defensive about it, while others learn from it.

Like it or not, avbug may take unpopular positions at times, but he is mostly by-the-book in his interpretations. Now whether he practices a lot of what he preaches is a different matter. Although pedagogical theory and real-world practice are two different matters, most of what he states is technically correct.

Internet expert know-it-all pompous a**'s are a dime-a-dozen. They are on every forum out there.

Rattler71

Rattler,

Seems you got your underwear all knotted up there, mate. Take a few deep breaths and calm down.

Post a stupid question...what do you expect? Did you not say you wanted rational, adult conversation regarding the topic at hand? Is that not your goal? Is your goal instead to cry incessantly about being slighted, about your feelings being hurt?

Really I thought you had a deep and abiding interest in speculating about all the things the report you cited doesn't mention...but you've fallen away from that completely.

Ah well, it's always the way. With nothing intelligent to say, one does usually attack the poster. Attack away, mate, if it makes you feel better.

avbug said:
Rattler,

Seems you got your underwear all knotted up there, mate. Take a few deep breaths and calm down.

Post a stupid question...what do you expect? Did you not say you wanted rational, adult conversation regarding the topic at hand? Is that not your goal? Is your goal instead to cry incessantly about being slighted, about your feelings being hurt?

Really I thought you had a deep and abiding interest in speculating about all the things the report you cited doesn't mention...but you've fallen away from that completely.

Ah well, it's always the way. With nothing intelligent to say, one does usually attack the poster. Attack away, mate, if it makes you feel better.

I thought you said you weren't posting in this thread anynore. Obviously you can't stay away.

Rattler71

And you can't seem to stay on topic...your own topic. You also won't let go. Get it out of your system. Speculate away to your imaginative heart's content. Go on, drift back to that wild guesswork...you know you wanna.

I think bluestreak made landmark insight into the issue. The pilot crashed on the right radial, but the wrong VOR.

Somehow I don't think that inoperative marker beacon, the VOR navhead light, or the ADF would have changed that. Do you?

What else do you think was inoperative? Perhaps his landing gear lights were intermittant. That could have lead him to fly south to Florida and crash in a swamp. Or perhaps his seat belt was frayed. That would have made things worse. Possibly a noisy door seal. That's the worst. With three things wrong, I can imagine that's an indicator that the entire airplane was falling apart. Perhaps that's why the pilot failed to notice he had tuned in the wrong VOR and read the wrong DME...or was he possibly reading DME off one VOR and tracking another? If so...how did that apply to the marker beacon being out?

You're fortunate to never fly aircraft with three things wrong with them. Three must seem like a lot...three things inoperative or intermittant, and it probably does feel like everything is failing all at once. Then again, I heard of a man once that thought a primary inverter failure was an earth shattering emergency, too. We're just fortunate that four things didn't go wrong with that airplane, because things could have really gone from bad to worse.

Of course, I'm not certain what's much worse than fatally crashing into a hillside in this case...but one thing we do know...there's no significant evidence from the limited information provided in the report to suggest that it was anything but pilot error. Even without drawing that conclusion from the facts in evidence, the fact that the position was misreported and he was flying a radial to the wrong VOR, apparently out of radar contact, paints a more exact picture than guessing what other equipment might not have been working.

Avbug,so not only do you seem to think you are intellectually superior to the rest of us, you also think you have some insight into what I have flown in my career. Somehow, I have managed to keep myself alive for the last 30 years and 16000 hours without benefit of your superior knowledge. And I intend, God willing, to keep flying for the next 20 years.

Yes, I did intend for the thread to go into a different direction than what your self-fullfilling dribble carried it to.

If this thread is so beneath your obvious superior intellect in things aviation and life in general, why are you still here?

Rattler71

Hmmm. Interesting rant. I never suggested the thread was beneath me. You suggested I should stop posting if I didn't go where you wanted it to go...and you never went there...too busy defensively crying in your suds to have a real conversation, apparently. Shoot, I'd have been thrilled if you'd even addressed the topic, but you're still too bitter to do that...you'd rather talk about me. Allllriiighty, then!

I think I'm intellectually superior because I discussed facts and didn't deviate from them? You must be really intimidated by the evening news. Thems some scary stuff. What with all that talk about what really happened, and all.

I think I have some insight into what you've flown in your career? How on earth did you come to that conclusion, and where in the conversation did that ever come up? I don't care what you've flown in your career.

You managed to keep yourself alive for thirty years and sixteen thousand hours. That's good. Keep doing that. Whatever you're doing, keep doing that. You say you did it without my superior knowledge. Well, that's kind of you to say but (sit down for this, it's going to come as a shock) I never said otherwise.

And I intend, God willing, to keep flying for the next 20 years.

That's very commendable. So long as you never have more than a marker beacon go out on your airplane, you'll probably be very successful. I sincerely hope you are. But that's really not related to the topic of this thread, either. Is it?

After all, (and I keep trying to bring this back on topic by actually addressing the thread topic which you chose, incidentally...see the trend?) we are talking about a young man that flew into a hill side while tracking the wrong VOR at the wrong DME. The thrust of your question was an increadulous disbelief at the decaying state of the airplane in which nothing worked (does anything work(?), you ask), an airplane which you identified as a "piece of junk." That was what you wanted to talk about. So how about it? Are you going to speculate for us, or not?

Well lets see you wrote,
"You're fortunate to never fly aircraft with three things wrong with them. Three must seem like a lot...three things inoperative or intermittant, and it probably does feel like everything is failing all at once."

I have flown Part 135 my entire life, I can assure you they were not all perfect airplanes.

And you know, reading your mindnumbing dribble is just to exhaustive for most normal people. Like an earlier poster said about you in another thread

"Ummm... that's essentially what I said. Your petulance and pedantic attitude is not very comely, avbug.
A fed, a fed lawyer, an attorney, if you must - whatever.
You remind me of the class snitch/bully who really got off on making sure everyone else knew the rules. Your knee-jerk need to have the last and "most correct" work speaks volumes about your raging insecurities. And, to humor those insecurities, I will politely let you have the last word, since you crave it so.Grow up."

My sentiments exactly. I will also let you have the last word in this thread. I think most people now see you for the truly pompous self-righteous a** you are. Like I said earlier "internet experts such as yourself" are a dime a dozen.

Last edited:
I have flown Part 135 my entire life

There is NO need to apologize. You're okay just the way you are.

I'm still uncertain what other things were wrong with the accident airplane that what has already been noted...but I'm sure we'll get back to it sooner or later.

I can assure you they were not all perfect airplanes.

Does that mean it's safe to jump out of them, then?

After all, I hear people say all the time, "why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

Sounds like you found some that weren't perfectly good. Save them for jumping, and let the wuffo's eat cake.

Now what else was wrong with the accident airplane that wasn't in the report, and how did it result in the fatal tragedy that's described therein?

Latest resources

Back