• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What A/C weight is "Heavy"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 757-200 is not a heavy, but you still get more than the standard spacing when you arefollowing one.

JJJ said:
The 757-200 is not a heavy, but you still get more than the standard spacing when you arefollowing one.

The 757-200 with a MTOW of 255,500 lbs is a "heavy". Not sure why they added the extra 500 lbs though in the certification. Seem's like it would just add to the landing fees.

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
Posted by gnx99

If that's the case then why do you hear ATC ask sometimes, "Are you heavy today?"

They're really asking, "are you light enough to give me a good climb?". Hope you were asking a serious question. If not, that was funny.;)

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
Posted by gnx99

If that's the case then why do you hear ATC ask sometimes, "Are you heavy today?"

I've never heard that before, so you may be right.

Also, Northwest 757-200's are not called heavy by ATC, but I've heard ATC call Northwest's 757-300's "Heavy".

jspilot said:
Isn't anything over 500,000 lbs labled Jumbo. Is that true??

No, it's called Roseanne.

Badumcha!

prior to the arrival of 757-300, I believe that ATA was the only operator with 757s with a max weight greater than 255k.

The 757 (unless it has changed ) is given a greater spacing-normally 2 min or 4 miles in front of large aircraft, where a heavey is given 2 min and 5 miles.

gnx99 said:
I've never heard that before, so you may be right.

Also, Northwest 757-200's are not called heavy by ATC, but I've heard ATC call Northwest's 757-300's "Heavy".

Just remember, not all aircraft of the same type and model are certified with the same max gross weight. Sometimes it's the company (NWA, UAL etc) that limits the weight for their aircraft. Example.....Northwest 757-200's are not "Heavy" because their MTOW is less than 255,000 lbs. ATA 757-200's are "Heavy" because they are certified at 255,500 lbs. The 757-200 is the only aircraft I know of that can vary over and under the 255,000 weight depending on the order. I hope this clears things up.

I have heard ATC ask "are you heavy today" down in Miami a couple of times...I don't know why they were asking

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back