• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Whale Tail Strike ... 380

THE Flying Ace

I'm freaking out man
Total Time
While I don't know for sure, I would guess and say they were intentional. During certification they will drag the tail to check for minimum unstick speed. Please correct me if I am wrong.

WMUchickenhawk

Total Time
THE Flying Ace said:
While I don't know for sure, I would guess and say they were intentional. During certification they will drag the tail to check for minimum unstick speed. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thats what I figured.

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
Total Time
VMu tests. (I know it's already been said, but I was prepping our aircraft here in TEB...that's my excuse)

surplus1

Total Time
25K+
Is the pic a takeoff or a landing?

wmuflyguy

flunky
Total Time
5k+
looks like a take off(i'm basing that off of the flap position, looks like they are only partially extended)

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
Total Time
Metro752 said:
ruin all the fun in bashing the whale

Sorry...here we go..."hahahaha! Look that that stupid french POS! They can't even take-off without dragging the tail! Hahahahaha!"
Better?

Vmu tests are done during t/o. This isn't a description of the procedure, but it's my understanding of it.
1)position and hold
2)hold yoke full aft
3)apply t/o thrust
4)wait for speed at which aircraft unsticks from runway (minimum unstick speed)

Pugh

Droopy Member
Total Time
What weight does the test have to be done at? Or is it several different weights?

2000flyer

EASY FLYER
Total Time
5700+
Vmu = Minimum Unstick Speed. Done during takeoff. Over rotate to drag the tail and note the speed at which the aircraft becomes airborne.

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
Total Time
I would guess MGTOW.

mzaharis

Total Time
I remember watching some footage of a 707 undergoing Vmu tests - when it finally got into the air, it was just over stall speed and wallowing like a, well, whale. I imagine it would be rather high pucker factor for the pilots, being in an aircraft, just off the ground, barely over stall speed.

EagleRJ

Are we there yet?
Total Time
The Vmu test is performed to ensure that the aircraft can still take off if it is rotated too early by the pilot. Some early types (DC-6, I think) would stop accelerating if they were rotated early, so even though you were trying to fly, it was never going to happen.
Certification standards under Part 25 require an aircraft to be able to take off at any speed above that where the elevator physically has the authority to raise the nose off the ground. The high alpha involved in the test means the tail usually scrapes along the runway before liftoff.

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Total Time
I think the purpose of this test is to prove the aircraft can become airborne if over-rotated, or rotated too early. I can't remember which plane it was, but an early jet was over-rotated onto its tail and subsequently crashed because it was not able to get airborne after that event. Part of the certification of new jets is to make sure they can power out of that situation.