• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

West Michigan-ORD Commute Suggestions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You could also take the South Shore Line to downtown Chicago, takes about 2.5 hours and picks up at KSBN. Great since you can take it into Chicago if there's flow and still fly back if you can make a flight the last day.

18 days of parking a month is pricey at ORD, I imagine. It'd have to be a pretty good deal.

No jumpseating with this job. So it's either ZED, or wheels of some sort.

How often will you be commuting per week/month? What I mean is will you be gone 18 days in a row? Will you be commuting once a week? I ask because if you drive it often then gas & parking may be too much. Also, only American Eagle flys to Ord now days (no United) and they seem to cancel Azo if they need another aircraft.

Many people drive to Grr (very cheap employee airport parking) and commute out of there (there's more flights too). They have American Eagle and United (737/Airbus) if you go the Zed fare route. Good luck man.

Last edited:
The sched is 18 on/11 off, so it's once a month for the drive and the car sits the whole time.

Do the bus and train depots charge for parking?

Kalamazoo charges for parking...But, I believe we have your solution:

AMTRAK Dowagiac
(DOA) 100 Railroad Dr.
Dowagiac, MI 49047 This is an unstaffed station, Enclosed Waiting Area, Restrooms, Payphones, Free Short Term Parking, Free Long Term Parking

Buy your tickets online, or pick them up in Kalamazoo, and hop on the train in Dowagiac. You'll go to Union Station in Chicago and then transfer to the local train to O'Hare. Voila!

More info on stations:

http://www.michiganstartpages.com/michigan/transportation/amtrak.htm#stations

Good luck.

YKMKR

Last edited:
What airline do you work for? Most airlines provide free parking at your base of ops. I commute out of ORD to EWR and get free parking. I would have to assume that an airline with a Chicago base would offer similar benefits.

What airline do you work for? Most airlines provide free parking at your base of ops. I commute out of ORD to EWR and get free parking. I would have to assume that an airline with a Chicago base would offer similar benefits.

KAL. I assumed that ORD wouldn't give free parking to KAL, but it's worth a shot.

Latest resources

Back