• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

We're not the worst!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was Dash-4 in a flyover at a Wing change-of-command. The squadron CO lead the flight. Wx prevented a practice run during the parade rehearsal the day before.

Fearless Leader zeroed-in on the (empty!) bleachers set up on the other side of the air station.

Rut Row!

When he realized his boo boo, he wrapped us up into a less-than-inspiring orbit around the ceremony.

I was on the inside of the turn, and hacked it only because I used boards (throttles pinned at idle) and lagged a bit.

Fugly in Air Superiority gray.

I avoided the O' Club that afternoon...

Murphy loves fly-bys. The sumbitch lives for them...

Are yall home now?

1st group leaves today, I'm here all 60.

The sumbitch lives for them...

Truer words were never spoken. And written like a Miss'ippi redneck like myself can understand!;)

I've never done a flyby. Unless you count 50' at 250 KIAS (hercs, remember) for the DZ party in Thailand when we were done for the day. Of course, noone wants a MC-130 flyby if anyone else is available. Doesn't look real good when the folks on the ground are "Look! There's a C-130!.........Look! There's a C-130!......Look! ...." you get the point.

I'll tell you what I was working the booth at Oshkosh last year and the raptor did a demo followed up by the C-17, and the buddha stole the show. . . that fat bastard was bending the sh!t outta that thing. .not exactly a flyover but point being, I have seen some IMPRESSIVE heavy flyovers. .

I had a friend at the Blue Zoo in 1990, that told me of a morning formation low flyby, being done by a cadet that was in the process of being booted. Apparently, it was pretty low, and unfortunately for him, he had not been booted just quite yet, so it ended up having some ramifications for him.

In the 1960s when my grandfather flew BUFFs, he did a fly by hooked up, or at least giving the appearance of being hooked up to a KC-135, on Armed Forces day, flying over the city at about 1000 ft I think.

I do not quite think that would be allowed now.

In the 1960s when my grandfather flew BUFFs, he did a fly by hooked up, or at least giving the appearance of being hooked up to a KC-135, on Armed Forces day, flying over the city at about 1000 ft I think.

I do not quite think that would be allowed now.

I have two high-quality black-and-white photos of an Armed Forces Day fly-by like the one your grandfather was in! The "plan" was to fly-by close...to simulate tanking. The regs prohibited actually being connected that low. Since the air was smooth, they pulled a "what the heck!" and flew right over the top, fully connected.

They weren't exactly "right over the city" since they were over the Base...but they didn't fly down the runway either! They flew a path that put them over base housing and some of the suburban homes nearby.

I was 10.

They were LOOOOOOW!

I had a friend at the Blue Zoo in 1990, that told me of a morning formation low flyby, being done by a cadet that was in the process of being booted. Apparently, it was pretty low, and unfortunately for him, he had not been booted just quite yet, so it ended up having some ramifications for him.

I witnessed that flyby!!!! It was in a twin engine and he came in between Fairchild and Vandy BELOW the friggin flagpole. At least it looked that way. I probably remember it as lower than it was, but people in the upper stories said it was eye level for them. Lots of O-6s at the Academy didn't think it quite so cool.

I've never done a flyby. Unless you count 50' at 250 KIAS (hercs, remember) for the DZ party in Thailand when we were done for the day. Of course, noone wants a MC-130 flyby if anyone else is available. Doesn't look real good when the folks on the ground are "Look! There's a C-130!.........Look! There's a C-130!......Look! ...." you get the point.

I remember a certain evening fly by over tent city in a certain sh*thole base in a certain sh*thole country that had people talking......:)

After you redeployed I flew a rather low tactical arrival. Nowhere near the tent flyover, but...we were low enough for the Nav to slew the IDS and yell "Robertson's watching our TV!!!"

I witnessed that flyby!!!! It was in a twin engine and he came in between Fairchild and Vandy BELOW the friggin flagpole. At least it looked that way. I probably remember it as lower than it was, but people in the upper stories said it was eye level for them. Lots of O-6s at the Academy didn't think it quite so cool.

I was on the bridge between Mitch's and Fairchild. I saw him west of the cadet area, then he disappeared behind Harmon Hall. The next I saw him he appeared over the honor wall and appeared to then descend. He was in a Cessna 310 and was at best at the sixth floor level of Vandy (keeping in mind that the T-zo is the fourth floor). He buzzed first and second group, went between Vandy and the library, and disappeared down the hill.

I also recall getting bombarded with blue and yellow ping-pong balls on the parade field one Saturday morning from a low flying 172. Perhaps just prior to the Navy game... :cool:

Latest resources

Back