• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wellstone crash update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh yeah. Very intersting. Typically inaccurate, but very interesting. Of special interest, were the following quotes:

Paul Czysz, professor emeritus of aerospace engineering at St. Louis University, said it only takes an eighth of an inch of ice on the wing's leading edge to disrupt the flow of air, which can cause the wing to lose its lift and the plane to dive.

Sounds a lot like a tailplane stall, but gotta watch out for that eighth inch of ice making an airplane dive intot he ground. That's scary stuff.

"Ice can cover half a wing in 2 seconds when a plane flies through very cold, damp air like the kind Wellstone's plane encountered, Czysz said. "

True, but it's the little alien creatures that come out of the ice after millenia of hiding in underground caverns, to take over the world, that's the real concern. Half a wing? Would that be freezing fog, building to cover half the wing...running rime ice, running amok and covering half a wing. Professor Czysz is quite an expert.

"Investigators say Wellstone's plane made an abrupt right turn as it made its runway approach. Czysz said that indicates one wing probably had ice on it, causing the sudden movement. "

That's the same agressive ice that covered half the wing. It attacked, not only knowing just how much to cover and how to do it, but just attacked one wing. Half of one wing. That would be a quarter wing, in toto, I guess.

"The weather may have contributed to the accident, causing the pilot to fly at a slow speed that wasn't safe, Czysz said."

Old Czysz is quite the master of understatement, coupled with a penchant for the stupid. Weather may have contributed. Well, duh. In much the same manner that flight may have contributed, or the fact that the airplanes had wings on which to accumulate ice. Imagine weather contributing to a weather related accident. Shocking.

"It was a gray, misty day," Czysz said. "When you fly in visually degraded conditions, it's really tough to know how fast you're going and how you're oriented."

That's one of the first things to go in visually degraded conditions, you know. The ability to know how fast you're going. The instruments get all blurry, especially the airspeed indicator. Fog hypoxia sets in, with the cold air that's freezing up half the wing depriving the brain, particularly the occular center, of the ability to see and interpret airspeed indications. This also happens when one eats a frozen popsicle too fast.

My kingdom for accurate reporting. My kingdom is safe. There is no accurate reporting. (My kingdom also isn't worth anything, which also probably makes it safe). My kingdom is a POS.

This is probably the same moron who comes up with some of the idiotic, inane statistics during a lull in a lopsided college football game when the announcers run out of interesting things to talk about.

"You know Bill, we have an interesting statistic here. Texas A&M is 40-0 in games in which they outscored their opponents..."

Then again maybe that is just because the statisticians are Aggies.

:D

Last edited:
I flew 402 freight dog stuff between Minneapolis- Duluth- Hibbing, back in 95'. Northern Minnesota almost killed me a few times. What kind of an approach does Eveleth have?

"That's one of the first things to go in visually degraded conditions, you know. The ability to know how fast you're going. The instruments get all blurry, especially the airspeed indicator. Fog hypoxia sets in, with the cold air that's freezing up half the wing depriving the brain, particularly the occular center, of the ability to see and interpret airspeed indications. This also happens when one eats a frozen popsicle too fast."

This happened to me once after bonging some really cold beers in college. I couldn't even see the panel, much less pick out the airspeed indicator. Then again, it might have been caused by the chick sitting on my face. Come to think of it, my hearing was kinda muffled too.

Do you think there was any hanky-panky going on?

Last edited:
My favorite inane statistic is when someone reports that in the majority of at-home shootings, there was A GUN KEPT IN THE HOUSE!

Kinda like pointing out that in the majority of ladder accidents, the victim actually owned a ladder.....

avbug's comments

Avbug and all others,

Very funny; very, very funny

I know someone dying in a plane crash is tragic and I'm not trying to take away from that but ya'll's comments were hilarious. I think I soiled my armor.

Slug

Latest resources

Back