Weird interview questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywiz

I just interviewed at a regional and wanted to see what others on here thought of some of the questions posed to me.

1) Showed a METAR and asked to read. Below that was a TAF report and the interviewer specifically asked me to read the "conditional" on the TAF report. I replied, I have never heard of the term "conditional" and his reply was "read the conditional on the TAF". He later explained that it was the FM and TEMPO lines and I said I would have no problem reading those. He said thats ok and took the report away from me and moved on. I looked at the FAA aviation weather book as well as the FAR/AIM and no where could I find the term "conditional".

2) Showed an ILS approach plate and asked me to brief what I would do starting at the IAF after being cleared for the full procedure ILS. I went through everything. He then said, what would you do if you lost glideslope after the FAF? I replied, I would revert to the LOC and use the LOC mins. He then said (as if I was wrong), "well what were you cleared for? I said ILS and he infered that I was supposed to go around. When I got home I looked at the FAR/AIM and is specifically says when you lose GS on an ILS, it reverts to a LOC approach.

I am a little confused at what happened with these 2 questions.
Is it just me or are these questions/answers unfair?

I did not get the job.

Last edited:
Inside the FAF and you lose the G/S should result in notifying the tower and initiating a missed approach. It would then be ok to get vectored around (during which time you would brief it) and cleared for the localizer approach.

As for the "conditional" on the TAF, I'm sure you knew what he was asking even if he was using terminology you weren't familiar with.

Sorry you didn't get the job but each interview is a learning experience.

You briefed and were cleared for the ILS. Anything prevents you from flying that approach, it's time to go around. The mins alone are enough to screw you over. You may already be below LOC mins when the glide slope fails. Be safe and execute the missed...

As far as the conditional weather... chalk it up to a learning experience.

Best of luck next time.

When the GS is out of service doesn't the controller say "cleared for the ILS approach to runway X GS OTS" ? The point is if the chart says ILS and not LOC and you were cleared for the ILS you may be able to continue. The only time I remember a controller specifically clearing me for a localizer approach is when the approach plate says LOC on the heading.

As far as the interview question goes, our company procedure requires a missed approach whenever inside the marker and a malfunction occurs that changes the landing minimums. (This may be based on FARS) The other question is when would you miss the approach now that you no longer have a DH? Start a straight ahead climb and figure out a way to determine the MAP if a turn is necessary (time, MM. etc)

That's a confusing one.
I'm pretty sure 'conditional' is ICAO terminology but I'll have to look that up to be 100% sure.
As far as the ILS/LOC I always brief and teach to review both minima and to continue on a LOC approach if the GS fails.
You should be familiar with the LOC minima so if the GS goes kaputt when you're below you go missed.
Anyway, I was told by a former Delta Connection (anybody remember them) check instructor that you would fail a stage check and would be publicly flogged if you did that so different folks, different strokes.
I assume a more political answer would have been something in the neighborhood of: ' I would act in accordance with you SOP's but under a Part 91 operation I would continue to LOC MDA blah blah blah'

You briefed and were cleared for the ILS. Anything prevents you from flying that approach, it's time to go around. The mins alone are enough to screw you over. You may already be below LOC mins when the glide slope fails. Be safe and execute the missed...

As far as the conditional weather... chalk it up to a learning experience.

Best of luck next time.

+1. If cleared for the ILS and you lose GS, notify tower execute the missed. WX? Well know you know and I am sure at the next interview you will do better. Was this Eagle by the way?

Latest resources

Back