Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SDCFI

Registered Offender
Lifted this flightplan from an AAL flt from BOS to LAX: MHT SYR BUF J16 BAE KP75C BFF J157 LAR KD57Q HEC CIVET5. I've seen fixes like this on enroute charts (labeled x), typically at a bend in an airway, but had no idea you could file them since they're technically not intersections. Do they even show up on Center's scope?

Not sure, but aren't those RNAV routes? I have seen some "airways" labelled with Q and other letters(domestically).

they're part of the HAR routing, seems like AAL is only the main guys we see using 'em but that's what they're for.

You'll see 'em mainly on guys on non NRP routes going transcon, but for some reason I haven't seen UAL or other majors using 'em, just AAL (and I think maybe someone else, but can't remember 'em).

And what do you mean do they show up on a center's scope? No fix is on a center's scope.

We're filed on a Q route going westbound out of atlanta a number of times... I believe its between MEM and LIT?

they're part of the HAR routing, seems like AAL is only the main guys we see using 'em but that's what they're for.

You'll see 'em mainly on guys on non NRP routes going transcon, but for some reason I haven't seen UAL or other majors using 'em, just AAL (and I think maybe someone else, but can't remember 'em).

And what do you mean do they show up on a center's scope? No fix is on a center's scope.

HAR routing? Haven't heard that one yet. Used Q routes a couple times but that's about it. Can't Center at least bring up fixes when they want to? I mean how else would they know if you've made a crossing restriction or not if they can't see the fix? I know they're good, but not that good!

SDCFI:

HAR routing, stands for High Altitude Routing, the guys who file that will put it in their remarks.

There are no fixes displayed on the scope, a controller has to have the entire map memorized and just know where stuff is. There's a reason controllers have to draw maps from a blank sheet of paper in their training...

And as to crossing restrictions, most crossing restrictions are so routine that controllers know whether or not a guy is gonna make it or blow it, and see where/when he crosses, at what altitude.

SDCFI:

HAR routing, stands for High Altitude Routing, the guys who file that will put it in their remarks.

There are no fixes displayed on the scope, a controller has to have the entire map memorized and just know where stuff is. There's a reason controllers have to draw maps from a blank sheet of paper in their training...

And as to crossing restrictions, most crossing restrictions are so routine that controllers know whether or not a guy is gonna make it or blow it, and see where/when he crosses, at what altitude.

No fixes on the scope. Your telling me the scope is just blank??? I don't agree, there are fixes depicted on the scope, VORS, Intersections, etc....they aren't lables but you can pull up the labels if you want to, they are all on the radar map. Being a tower puke, our DBRITE has all the surrounding fixes at ORD, all the IAF and OMS on the approach, as for ARTCC and TRACON, ive been to many and trust me, the fixes are depicted.

SDCFI:

I can't speak for every facility, but at Denver Center (and every center/TRACON I've visited), we have things like major NAVAIDS, jet/victor routes, and sector boundaries displayed. I have the ability to bring up things like departure transitions if I like, too. Also, we have the ability to slap a label on the scope if we need to depict a particular fix.

Sure, I memorized my airspace, but stuff like that is useful!

Latest resources

Back