Weather radar usage and what not

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alltheway

Just curious about tricks or tips for using the weather radar, such as tilt, gain, range, ground clutter suppression ect in different situations such as tilt when operating low verse in cruise, when is red just heavy percip vs stay away, something like that,

Just curious about tricks or tips for using the weather radar, such as tilt, gain, range, ground clutter suppression ect in different situations such as tilt when operating low verse in cruise, when is red just heavy percip vs stay away, something like that,

What you want to do in the ERJ is push the RADAR button 4 times in 3 seconds. Make sure your on the ground with personnel still working around the aircraft ;-)

Just leave it off...most of the time its better that way.

If you don't like what you see just turn it off.

If you feel like you gotta look at it, you probaoly don't want to see it.

Man, you'd be better off posting this question in the weather section, you might get some serious responses.

Here's some tips for beginners: avoid scallop and heart shapes. Beware of "shadows" behind intense returns. I'm sure others can provide better advice than I can if we can get past the sarcasm.

You can either turn the gain down or tilt up until it turns green or goes away thus looking less scarey.

Ok for once heres some serious stuff.

1...take your alt...IE 25000. drop the last 3 zeros so you have 25. Tilt down until the radar is painting ground from 25 miles away to the rest of the screen. Look at that tilt angle (usually round -4ish) now tilt up 6 degrees (+2ish) Pretty much everything that is painting now is probably wx. If you want the bottom of the radar beam to be even with the bottom of your A/C then tilt up an extra 4 degrees (+6ish).

2. If you are in the FL's then you might have to tilt down to get a better look at a storm. It might paint green cause you're high and its all ice. Tilt down and it might turn red and you will know if you want to avoid it or not.

3. Generally below 10,000 or so if you are picking something up with the tilt above 6 degrees or so you can pretty much bet its wx.

4. If you are painting a storm you can use a few tricks to see if its really that bad. One trick is to turn the gain down and see how low the gain goes before it turns green or disappears...the lower gain that paints something the stronger the storm is. (on a side note in the winter snow doesn't really paint that good so you can turn the gain up so see snow showers)

5. Look for shadows. If you see a storm on the radar tilt down until you paint ground just in front of the storm. If no ground gets painted behind the storm...(black "shadow" behind the storm) then it is a strong storm and you should avoid it. Plus that storm is blocking your radar so it could be hiding another storm behind it.

Forgot you asked about range too. It seems to me that anything thats 100 miles or more form the a/c makes the radar pretty much useless. When you want to look at the route a few mins ahead you might have to switch from 50 to 100 mile range to get the "big plan" when you are close the 5, 12, or 25 mile ranges are good to pick you way through holes.

Another thing to remember is that most storms aren't really that big and are just a few miles around so if you have your radar on long range they might show up as a speck that could be easily missed when you look at the radar.

Those are most of the tricks I know. Hope they help you out.

Last edited:

What kind of a/c are you flying, it makes a difference. For instance the radar on the CRJ basically sucks. To get good information you really have to work the tilt and gain, moving the tilt up and down to decipher ground vs. rain (I had a captain ask me to deviate around SRQ once:rolleyes:) and adjusting the gain to see the intensity of the precipitation (I tend to use the gain at lower altitudes).

When cruising I like to go to a range one higher than I want and paint the ground up to the range I want (i.e. if I want the 80 range, I'll start in the 160 range and paint the ground just past 80 miles). That way I know anything that makes it's way onto my screen is precipitation. I can then adjust the range and tilt as necessary depending on the situation. In the CRJ, the radar doesn't seem to work very well at the closer ranges, but it usually doesn't matter because you can circumnavigate the weather when in the flight levels. In the terminal area this is a real handicap.

I've also used the radar in the Dornier 328JET. It seemed to work better than the CRJ's. The biggest difference from an interface perspective is that the receiver has two separate receivers so both sides of the airplane get left and right sweeps. In the CRJ-700 the Captain gets the left sweep and the FO gets the right sweep (in the CRJ-200 only one person gets the information, the other only sees what the PF dictates). Essentially the update time on the Dornier is twice as fast as the CRJ-700.

I've only used the radar units I've described. I've had Beech 1900 drivers tell me the Beech has a better radar. As it was explained to me the Beech philosophy was to use a powerful transmitter, while the jets use a low power transmitter and a more sensitive receiver. I'm sure there's someone more familiar with both systems to explain it better.

Latest resources

Back