Weather and ProLine 21

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Low and Fast

Earlier in the year we upgraded our Falcon 50 with the Dash 4 engine conversions and the Collins Proline 21 avionics. We subscribed to Universal as our WX provider due to our owner's desire to head over seas. We haven't been very satisfied in the least bit with their graphics, information or support. We are considering switching to XM at years end but are there any other options?

Thanks in advance

We have XM but I am sure you are well aware of their offerings.

How are the dash 4's working out. How is the range and performance? We still have the 3d's and the ProLine 21. We only do 3 or 4 International trips per year and not deep into Europe (Paris) so the owner doesn't have any real desire to upgrade. Can always dream.
:beer:

The -4's are great. Not quite a -40 but the fuel burn is better that's for sure. We are averaging around 200 gph at .84 at FL390. Best thing is the initial climb to 390 or 400 depending on the day without having to stop in the mid 30s.

I've flown a ProLine Hawker with Universal weather, and am currently flying one with XM. I'm MUCH happier with the XM, it is more user friendly and does a better job of displaying the data. I believe in the Hawker that those are the only 2 options. As you're aware, the major problem with the XM is that it works domesticly only. The airplane I'm flying now doesn't go international much, so it was an easy decision.

Are you able to zoom in on the graphical weather maps with XM? Unlike Universal which are just about useless and will not zoom.

We use XM, but we have GMX 200. As a domestic weather product, it is perfect and will zoom from 1/4 mile to 2000 or 3000 miles and everything in between.

Thank you for the help, it will surely help us in our decision as we move forward.

Latest resources

Back