We need support from ALL pilots.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AAflyer

If we allow this to creep in, it will cause problems for ALL of us.

AAflyer

February 28, 2008

Transatlantic flights face shutdown as US pilots back protest at BA

David Robertson

British Airways's dispute with its pilots over the establishment of a new subsidiary airline could spread to the United States and shut down two thirds of transatlantic flights.

Pilots working for American Airlines, which has a partnership agreement with BA, said yesterday that they would “unequivocably support” the BA pilots' union. BA's pilots are threatening to strike over the airline's decision to set up a separate division called Open Skies, which will operate from cities such as Paris and Brussels to New York.

The British Air Line Pilots' Association (Balpa) is worried that BA will use its new division to introduce a low-cost operating structure that will lead to reduced pilot salaries and benefits. The Allied Pilots Association, representing 12,000 AA pilots, is concerned that the idea will spread and that United States-based carriers might try to follow suit.

Captain Lloyd Hill, the APA president, said: “As far as outsourcing is concerned, the British Airways pilots' struggle is our struggle. Accordingly, we have pledged a broad range of support to our fellow pilots at British Airways, including personnel and financial resources, to help to resist plans by their airline's management to establish an alter ego operation.”

RELATED LINKS
BA passengers face flight chaos from strikes
BA pilots use crash as weapon in dispute

Last week, 86 per cent of the 3,000 BA pilots who are Balpa members voted to strike over the Open Skies proposal. BA and Balpa said yesterday that they would try to resolve their differences through Acas, the concilliation service. Talks will begin on March 3.

A strike by BA pilots would be the first in nearly 30 years and would cripple the airline. The support of American Airlines pilots will put extra pressure on BA, as its partner could also be grounded by the action.

About 68 per cent of all traffic between Heathrow and the United States is carried by AA and BA and industrial action at both would have a substantial impact on transatlantic travel.

Mr Hill added: “Our pilots have experienced first-hand the career damage brought about by outsourcing. We stand foursquare behind our British Airways colleagues in their efforts to stop this threat to our collective livelihoods.”

BA is proposing to begin Open Skies services from June, using old Boeing 757 aircraft. If the project is successful, it will extend the venture to include flights from Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Madrid and Milan to the United States.

How are they going to get landing slots and gates here???

When is our government going to recognize that one way to lesson the overcrowding of our atc system is to just say no to "new" service?

I've talked to a few of the BA pilots, and they are fully aware of what could happen with this.

Unfortunately, they lacked a proper scope clause and, quite frankly, their union should have had the foresight to remedy that situation before this happened.

Their industrial action is going to be a bit more powerful, they actually have to go on strike within a matter of weeks after the vote was taken......and BA can't afford to have that happen.

would it be legal for pilots of US carriers to post sympathy strikes? if we shut down everything on this side it would help send a message on globalization!

Does BA have a BA express or regional affiliate? Or are all BA pilots on one seniority list? Hopefully they avoid outsourcing and fight against scope changes.

Let's hear some ideas.

Can we decline flights that would be "struck"? Can we decline flights that accomodate customers affected by this?

Didn't AA come up with the B scale?

And UAL had an agreement in part called Blue Skies. SWA pilots at the time were paid nothing relative to the other airlines pay. Recently when JetBlue started they paid peanuts compared to the legacies prior 9-11 cuts however offered rapid advancements.

So what, how about learning from our mistakes and moving forward. Does your comment remotely help the situation now? Is it just a jab like so many others on this board because you hide behind a screen name?

Are your thoughts and comments in any way aiding in a situation that will be knocking ON EVERYONES!!! door shortly...

Lastly I was not at AA during the 80s, neither where thousands of other AA pilots. Please tell me you are more mature than labeling ME for actions of others DECADES ago. In that case I think we could make a list on everyone from CAL to SWA.....

However I choose to move forward, and support ALPA,NPA, IPA etc. I will support BALPA and other foreign carriers unions.

The war is now on our door step, how we choose to fight it will decide our fate.

Regards,

AAflyer

Latest resources

Back