Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

joepilot29

Water in Pitot/Static System on a CRJ

Just curious if anyone else who currently flies or has flown the CRJ 100/200 has had a mechanical due to water in the pitot/static system. This morning in Lexington,KY there were 6 CRJ's with this problem this morning. There was heavy rain which turned to snow the night before. Just wondering if this was an isolated incident or a new problem that is about to surface with the CRJ. We took an 8 hour delay getting to ATL. The mechanics were quite busy today.

Our plane had the speed tape stuck on 95 kts on the captains side and Stall Fail caution and Mach trim wouldn't engage as a result of the water in the pitot static system. Think the others had similar problems. It total it was 1 Air Wisconsin, 1 ASA, 1 Skywest, 1 Comair, and 2 Pinnacle.

Never seen anything like this in my life in my 5 years flying one of these.

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone else who currently flies or has flown the CRJ 100/200 has had a mechanical due to water in the pitot/static system. This morning in Lexington,KY there were 6 CRJ's with this problem this morning. There was heavy rain which turned to snow the night before. Just wondering if this was an isolated incident or a new problem that is about to surface with the CRJ. We took an 8 hour delay getting to ATL. The mechanics were quite busy today.

Our plane had the speed tape stuck on 95 kts on the captains side and Stall Fail caution and Mach trim wouldn't engage as a result of the water in the pitot static system. Think the others had similar problems. It total it was 1 Air Wisconsin, 1 ASA, 1 Skywest, 1 Comair, and 2 Pinnacle.

Never seen anything like this in my life in my 5 years flying one of these.

It does happen.... Not frequently, but there you go.

Have had it once on the 200 after a night of freezing rain. No problem until over an hour inflight. Got EFIS COMP on airspeed indications FO normal Captains droped to 120 something. Also got it on the 700 but don't remember about rain, ect. Like CRJ said it does happen.

P.S. this was over a 10 yr span.

Yup, 3 times in 9 years. The pitot static system in the 200 has small water collectors that when full and not emptied by MX, can cause ADC issues. It became such a problem at SkyWest that we ended up with pitot tube covers. It solved 95% of our ADC issues, but pilots whined like little girls about the covers. Then when Air France ripped it's vertical stab off, oops, I meant to say "had pitot static system failure", the MX draining schedule of pitot static systems was greatly increased negating the need for pitot static covers. It will be fun to hear all the complaining pilots if SkyWest again requires pitot covers.

Skywest cured this problem by using pitot covers between flights. The solution turned out to be worse than the problem (cover material getting lodged in the tubes).

edit: The whining was from having to use them virtually between every flight regardless of weather conditions.

Last edited:
off topic but curious...

any of you guys pinning the gear on overnights?

I dont get it... learning to fly you alway put the covers back on, flying corporate we always put the covers back on (regardless of conditions)... but you become an airline pilot and join a union... err I mean an "association"... and everyone starts bitching.

Yea I bitch a lot too, but I still do the post flight walk around every time. You have to do it so what extra time does it take to stick a cover on a tube. At least you aren't having to put the engine caps or prop slings on.

No problem using the caps on overnights or during inclement weather. My grief was installing them year round (when the aircraft is due out in 45 minutes) when weather was not an issue, nor would be for weeks at a given airport.

Typical over reaction. Don't even get me started on the external power prohibition.

Latest resources

Back