Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gumby

Gettin' my JERK on!
Heres' a question for you "blue" guys and gals...I have a buddy who needs to get off his "coolie" from his ERJ/PIC job and send his stuff into JB. He worries about so-called stories of folks washing out, and JB not giving them a chance!

He is one of the sharpest sticks I know, and try and tell him not to worry, but he's being a sissy...anyone have insight to the policies that JB sets down for new hires, or any relateable stories..Thanks..G-man...

There have been just a handful of new hires who have washed from the FO program at JetBlue. They were all given extra sim time, extra trainer time, extra instructor attention, new instructors, new partners, etc. Whatever would help get them through. But some just can't get up to speed and/or don't work hard enough to get up to speed and are let go. Nobody likes to see that happen, especially JetBlue, which needs them out there generating ASM's and not consuming training expenses. But it's not a matter of flushing out newbies. One pilot had a military background and just could not get a handle on the airline crew environment and the glass cockpit. Another was a high time jet pilot in his 50's with no previous glass time. I understand he resigned rather than deal with the frustration of learning the glass. See a pattern? So your EFIS-trained buddy can relax; there's no pile of bodies outside the door.

Last edited:
Gumby,

I second all of what JeffG wrote. I started class in March. I've known several people in each of the subsequent classes (we're furloughees from US Airways or they're Air Force buddies of mine). Only 1 pilot in the March/April/May/June/July classes didn't make it.

Lack of studying and application on his part was the consensus. There was one pilot in the class ahead of mine who didn't make it through his IOE.

Apparently, he is a great guy with outstanding personality. Just a little behind the jet at all times. They gave him about 50 hours of IOE time and he still couldn't come up to speed. He was an A-10 pilot, retired from the Air Force and the glass cockpit was a little daunting for him.

Usually each class has enough people with Airbus experience that you can always get extra help if you're interested. The facilities are open 24/7 and therefore you are the master of your own training.

If any extra help is ever needed, it's provided. Extra help is very seldom needed however. Students attack the program and get it done.

Happy Landings,

JB washing...

Thanks guys for the input..I'm sure he's not gonna have a problem...Just trying to get him to apply is the problem...

DIFSRIP???

... and for all of us who haven't flown an Airbus, what IS a DIFSRIP, if I may proclaim my ignorance & inquire?

Snoopy 58

It's the acronym we use to program the MCDU (FMGS computer). I'd write what each letter means, but unless you've flown the Bus, it doesn't really make sense.

It's the acronym we use to program the MCDU (FMGS computer). I'd write what each letter means, but unless you've flown the Bus, it doesn't really make sense.

And then again, for those of us who do fly the Airbus, it still doesn't make too much sense...

Jeff G had to give me several nuclear dope slaps last week to help impart the whys and whyfoes of our somewhat recalcitrant FMGS.

:D

Latest resources

Back