• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Was is Worth More in the Log Book

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Kid, don't let these boys make you wish to grow up to fast. Take it slow and make a plan as to where you want to be in 10, 20, 30 years. We all wish we were 15 again, I sure do. And don't let them woolyBuggers control your thoughts either. To much blood pooling in your lower parts can distort your brain development at your age. Right now your priority should be; 1) learn all you can, 2) fly all you can, 3) get all the toy's you want before that bugger changes everything.

Let me apologise for the potential thread hijack here, but rather than start yet another thread on logbooks, I'll just ask it here...

I have the opportunity in the near future to fly some empty Part 91 legs in a King Air C90. The largest aircraft I have flown is a Cessna 401. So my question is, would it look bad to log the time without the initial King Air training? I could get the training, but I'd have to pay for it. The cost would be around $2700.

MarineGrunt said:
I have the opportunity in the near future to fly some empty Part 91 legs in a King Air C90.....would it look bad to log the time without the initial King Air training?

Could you clarify something for me first? Are the "revenue" legs part 91 or 135?

Some (most?) FAA inspectors feel that if an airplane flies a revenue leg from point A to point B, then returns empty to point A, that the entire operation is conducted under part 135, because the customer is paying for the entire flight, and thus you would need to be on the certificate.

If it is a corporate or privately owned operation, go for it.

LAXSaabdude.

snoopy_1 said:
That's ALL I would be doing if I was 14 again. nothing but chasing girls.
To be 14 and know what I do now... d@mn! The possibilities are beyond imagination!

MarineGrunt I have the opportunity in the near future to fly some empty Part 91 legs in a King Air C90. The largest aircraft I have flown is a Cessna 401. So my question is said:
Not as bad as paying for the training would look!

Seriously, this subject has been covered many times and you could do a search for some good info. To sum it up:

Regional airlines like to see turbine experience, but Interviewers are trained to root out fraudulent time. IF you want to get some of this experience, make sure that you get a copy of the manual, and that you learn thethings that every professional pilot learns about a plane he is PIC in:

1) The Operating Limitations, (limiting speeds, weights, temps, etc)

2) The Normal and Supplemental Procedures

3) The Emergency procedures

4) The profiles- (normal pattern, approaches, stalls, etc).

5) I believe a High-altitude endorsement is required to serve as PIC (do a search to learn the difference between "serving" as PIC and "Acting" as PIC).

6) I would log the first three or four legs as dual, if the guy is an MEI, or as "aircraft familiarization" if he is not.

7) Oh, and the MOST IMPORTANT THING- learn how to work the door! Nothing can make you look more foolish than an unfamiliar aircraft door!

Have Fun . . . . it's always fun learning a new aircraft.

Last edited:
LAXSaabdude said:
Could you clarify something for me first? Are the "revenue" legs part 91 or 135?

Some (most?) FAA inspectors feel that if an airplane flies a revenue leg from point A to point B, then returns empty to point A, that the entire operation is conducted under part 135, because the customer is paying for the entire flight, and thus you would need to be on the certificate.

If it is a corporate or privately owned operation, go for it.

LAXSaabdude.
It is all a part 91 operation. Would it be better to study my a$$ off on the King Air and not go to the school, or would it be better to get the training so the time is more legit?

I may also have the same opportunity in a Citation, also all part 91. Any thoughts on this?

MarineGrunt said:
It is all a part 91 operation. Would it be better to study my a$$ off on the King Air and not go to the school, or would it be better to get the training so the time is more legit?

I may also have the same opportunity in a Citation, also all part 91. Any thoughts on this?

If it is all Part 91, going to a school will not make the time any more or less legitimate. A King Air does not require a type rating, so there is no specific amount of training required to fly it Part 91. Since they are not hiring you for a job right now, there is really no point in going to the school. Just learn as much as you can, and try to impress them as much as you can. If they like you, and want to hire you full time, they may send you to the school for their own insurance purposes.

With regards to the Citation, what kind of Citation is it? Some of them are single pilot, and since a type rating is required for PIC, you could not log it as PIC or SIC. If you are flying the 2 pilot model, then you would be a required crew member, and could log the SIC time.

Hope this helps....

LAXSaabdude.

LAXSaabdude - Thanks for the answers. The place that does the flying is actually the FBO I work for. We are contracted to fly for these companies. If I had enough time for the insurance minimums they would send me to school and I would be doing a lot of this flying, but no one is going to insure a 425hr pilot in a King Air...

We have a company interested in contracting us to fly for them. Nothing is set in stone yet, but we're guessing they are going to choose a Citation. Not sure though.

Originally posted by LAXSaabdude:

Some of them are single pilot, and since a type rating is required for PIC, you could not log it as PIC or SIC.

There is no such thing as a single-pilot type, it is a letter of authorization to fly single pilot when all required items are operational and the pilot is current [as a single pilot. If something as simple as the yoke-mounted "ident" button is inop, then it cannot be flown single pilot. If th epilot does not meet single-pilot recurrency, but meets two-pilot recurrency, then an SIC is required.

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
There is no such thing as a single-pilot type, it is a letter of authorization to fly single pilot when all required items are operational and the pilot is current [as a single pilot.

No disagreement there, I was simply stating that certain models of Citation (e.g. the Citation I SP, or CitationJet) may be flown single pilot. If an SIC is not required, then only the PIC may log any time at all, as he is the only one type rated in the airplane, and the person occupying the right seat is not a required crewmember.

If it is an original Citation I, or one of the new Xs for example, then an SIC is always required, and may log the time as such.

LAXSaabdude

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back