• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captain dad

Warren Buffett Is Close to Buying Regional Airport in Frankfurt
Email | Print | A A A

By Nadja Brandt
Jan. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Billionaire investor Warren Buffett is close to buying the Egelsbach airport in Frankfurt, Germany, through his business-jet venture NetJets Inc.
The airport’s owners, including the cities of Offenbach and Langen as well as municipal utilities, have agreed to sell their stakes, the airport said in a faxed statement today. The city of Egelsbach, another shareholder, hasn’t made a decision yet. NetJets plans to hold talks with the city, Jan. 23.
The sale of the airport, which is Germany’s largest for private and business flights, is driven in part by the need for investment in its infrastructure. A total of about 30 million euros ($38.6 million) would be necessary for such measures, including a runway extension, the airport said in a statement in November.
“The entry of private investors would be an ideal way to maintain the airport as a prime location for business flights and to develop it further,” the airport said in November.
NetJets would take into consideration neighboring communities and would limit noise pollution as well as traffic to a maximum of 100,000 planes a year, the airport said in the statement today.
To contact the reporter on this story: Nadja Brandt in Los Angeles at [email protected]
Last Updated: January 21, 2009 15:00 EST

Warren Buffet plan smacked down by local shareholders

Calcutta News.Net
Sunday 25th January, 2009​
A bid by investor Warren Buffett to upgrade a landing strip near a small town in Germany is meeting resistance from townsfolk.

The airstrip at Egelsbach was to be altered to accept business jets from Buffet’s business-jet venture NetJets.

Buffet had offered to pay 3.7 million-euros for the unprofitable airfield.

Egelsbach is the only shareholder that hasn't agreed to sell to the US billionaire, who wants more private jet clients in Germany.

Local residents have said the noise and pollution from the jets would make the town un-livable with take-offs and landings being pushed up to 100,000 a year.

The 10,000-strong community of Egelsbach, which controls 11 per cent of the airport, wants more time to examine the proposal, but currently intends to block the sale.

A sale requires the agreement of each stakeholder.

The other shareholders, the city of Offenbach, the town of Langen and local municipalities have said they are willing to sell.

Egelsbach airport was originally built in the early 1950s after being originally used as a competition site for model planes.

Been there quite a few times, provided a lot of the information for our OM briefing.......

I'm sure that there will a compromise - it's a very intensive GA/training airport, but it's not best situated right in the vicinity of Frankfurt Main EDDF! There are lots of C152 & similar doing touch & goes (a high % of the total movements I would guess), & if you look at the map, the arrival/departure routes don't touch a lot of the built-up areas.

[I made the comments below on our company forum]

Personally, I think that the handling capacity for the FBO would "bulk" out waaaaay before saturation of movements. If you consider parking spaces, fuelling***, FBO/AIS staff handling, Frankfurt Zone ATC capacity, etc, etc, then perhaps something like 4 - 6 jets/hr would be realistic?? Oh the fun on an easterly landing, staying east of the north/south A5 autobahn (avoiding EDDF Rwy 18 departures), over the 700 ft high power cables.......

*** even on the mighty H800, with pax, if my memory is correct, the maximum landing mass (JAR) didn't give you that much fuel to play around with (especially Rwy 27, displaced threshold), so for a departure flight of any distance, it was a fair bet that you had to refuel most times.

For those that haven't been there before, the airport website link, on the English version, click on PILOT INFO. You can look at all the charts & other local information, including webcam & virtual representations of arrivals/departures. The high performance aircraft guidance is here.

Been there quite a few times, provided a lot of the information for our OM briefing.......

I'm sure that there will a compromise - it's a very intensive GA/training airport, but it's not best situated right in the vicinity of Frankfurt Main EDDF! There are lots of C152 & similar doing touch & goes (a high % of the total movements I would guess), & if you look at the map, the arrival/departure routes don't touch a lot of the built-up areas.

[I made the comments below on our company forum]

Personally, I think that the handling capacity for the FBO would "bulk" out waaaaay before saturation of movements. If you consider parking spaces, fuelling***, FBO/AIS staff handling, Frankfurt Zone ATC capacity, etc, etc, then perhaps something like 4 - 6 jets/hr would be realistic?? Oh the fun on an easterly landing, staying east of the north/south A5 autobahn (avoiding EDDF Rwy 18 departures), over the 700 ft high power cables.......

*** even on the mighty H800, with pax, if my memory is correct, the maximum landing mass (JAR) didn't give you that much fuel to play around with (especially Rwy 27, displaced threshold), so for a departure flight of any distance, it was a fair bet that you had to refuel most times.

For those that haven't been there before, the airport website link, on the English version, click on PILOT INFO. You can look at all the charts & other local information, including webcam & virtual representations of arrivals/departures. The high performance aircraft guidance is here.

Thanks for the interesting perspective. You always share some great European information! Enjoy that pretty Falcon!

Sounds like a good example of starting with a large fortune to make a small one in aviation. heh.

Hooray!, another unrecognized genius discovered on FlightInfo.
I can't wait till you come up with another unique, insightful comment, on the business acumen of W.B..

[Ignoring the children.......]

<<<< Thanks for the interesting perspective. You always share some great European information! Enjoy that pretty Falcon! >>>>

Aw shucks! :0

Fingers crossed, the latest, slightly more positive news (Babelfish translation, the Germans don't really talk like that!!):

28.1.2009, the municipality Egelsbach the sale of their portions of the airfield Egelsbach agreed. Mayor Rudolf Moritz (non-party) confirmed on Wednesday on strip packing-inquires that the Gemeindevorstand had communicated this resolution about a representative the Hessian airfield to GmbH Egelsbach (HFG). The agreement is a further step on the way to the privatization of the largest German airport for private and business machines.

Egelsbach had not delivered a voice in the company meeting on 21 January, since a new appraisal had raised new questions. The municipality holds approximately eleven per cent of the portions. The four other HFG partners - the city and public utilities being enough, the circle and public utilities Offenbach - had already agreed the sale of their portions on 21 January. The final decision over the privatization of the airfield is incumbent on now the committees of the partners.

The airfield Egelsbach has liquidity problems” according to data of the HFG “. Only in the year 2008 the partners had to supply 500,000 euro at additional funds. The partners explained thereupon to make no further payments. As alternative to the insolvency of the airfield from there a concept was compiled for the entrance of private investors. The assumption of the Egelsbacher of airfield by airline Netjets of the US billionaire Warren buffet is according to HFG “on the goal straight line”.

Day One of Tour today, off to play with my Falcon - ending up in Farnborough - snippet of the day, for all those who watched the latest James Bond movie, the Farnborough FBO is the one that was shown!! ;)

Latest resources

Back