• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Warren Buffet report on Netjets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There will always be a few rotten apples whether there is a union or not. If/when we get rid of these pilots, netjets will become even better.

Just to be clear, the Union NEVER endorsed or called for ANYTHING illegal to happen.

Everyone knows the union never endorsed for anything illegal to be done, but you would have to be naive to believe that the same grounding items always happened every day on every aircraft type.

Also isn't it amazing that after the contract was done that the airplanes became more efficient. Was it because NetJets hired in a better maintenance staff?

Now back to the present, it is great to hear that the union and management are working together again (rather than against each other) and allowing the pilot group to enjoy some of the profits.

...the fact remains that many union pilots' behavior in response to management is what kept profits from happening. Fact? I beg to differ. You have it backwards, G4. There were poor decisions made by Boisture/management that had nothing to do with pilots. Selling off the core fleet while promoting the Marquis Card caused problems and hurt profits. Overbooking charter flights to cover the holidays only to have NJA pilots sit around FBOs while vendor$ flew their pax was a waste of money. Ignoring pilotgroup efforts to save money in daily operations is a costly mistake. I am not disputing either the cause of union discontent or the validity of the feelings of the union folks. Thank you for that. Also, as we all know within the company, union official policy regarding such misbehavior by many crews during those fractious times is not the subject, merely the behavior itself. Human nature as it applies to labor relations has been studied by behavior experts and some truths have emerged. Low morale lowers productivity and high turn over has a steep price tag. The behavior (of management) caused the lack of profits. Period. Short-sighted, penny-wise/pound-foolish decisions made by Boisture hurt profits and morale. Labor experts advise managers that a motivated workforce is necessary for success. That point was again made by an author/consultant NJA recently brought to CMH. I am very glad y'all got the deal you did, (Thanks, the pilots earned every dollar of it.) although the higher pay will open the lower end of the fractional market to bottom feeder newcomer companies, because there are pilots willing to fly for peanuts, unfortunately. Are you suggesting pilots should not raise the bar..:confused: Every worker would rather get the going rate than be underpaid. Again you have it backwards, G4. The NJA contract sent the Options pilots to the bargaining table to pull up their wages and both times ('05 and '07) CS has found it in their best interest to offer their pilots more money. Meanwhile, the civil discourse is quite enjoyable, ... And on that point we both agree. :)

Good luck on the upcoming announcement at NJI.

$547 million sounds like a big deal but when you look at the assets employed and total revenues, it is not so awesome.

Which assets? Are you talking about the owner's airplanes? NJ only owns 1 fractional aircraft. NJ leases the buildings in CMH. For not having hardly any owned assets, I think $250 mil is pretty good.

SG

Not to mention that the owners would have a valid complaint if NJA made too much money off of planes they're only supposed to be managing. Recall the owners who got upset about too many Marquis Card pax flying in their planes? If memory serves, NJA have to give some owners free flights to soothe their ruffled feathers. Apparently, in the frac business opinions on acceptable profit margins are taken seriously. If WB and RS are pleased, I dare say the peanut gallery ;) should be as well.

Disclaimer for the word-twisters out there: "peanut gallery" is a term used half in jest. I do respect the fact that each of us has the right to an opinion, but I doubt that many posting here are as qualified as WB and RS to comment on the profitability of NJA.

The reason NetJets is now profitable is that finally the NJA pilots are behaving like professional pilots instead of like professional union thugs. I am very happy about this, but for the union pilots to congratulate themselves for not misbehaving is disengenuous to say the least. In my opinion.

respectfully, i suggest that what you term as 'professional pilots' most others would refer to as whores. you know, those willing to eat sh$t, fly broken airplanes, apply for gov't assistance all for the privilege of flying a jet. there are plenty of crappy airlines that would love to have the 'professional pilot' that you believe in. I wonder how much money they're making?

now, being at NJI is a better situation than most. I wonder if you ever had to fight for what you currently have, what would your definition of 'professional pilot' be then? However since you acknowledge that the Union did in fact possess the power to drive a new contract, I'm curious as to what your preferred method is to increase pay, benefits and schedules by the amount we accomplished? I hope it's more than 'pretty please'......

Last edited:
Everyone knows the union never endorsed for anything illegal to be done, but you would have to be naive to believe that the same grounding items always happened every day on every aircraft type. Who says that happened? I can speak for my fleet only, but the planes are old and require a great deal of attention. They still do.

Also isn't it amazing that after the contract was done that the airplanes became more efficient. Was it because NetJets hired in a better maintenance staff? See what happens when you spend a lot of money on maintenence? The planes don't break down as often. AMAZING!

Now back to the present, it is great to hear that the union and management are working together again (rather than against each other) and allowing the pilot group to enjoy some of the profits.

I'm not sure what you want to hear? All I can tell you is that I refused to fly illegal airplanes in 2005, and I refuse to fly illegal planes now in 2008. Guess what? I won't fly them in 2009 either. To do so is to provide our owners a disservice and I will not do that.

Not to mention that the owners would have a valid complaint if NJA made too much money off of planes they're only supposed to be managing. Recall the owners who got upset about too many Marquis Card pax flying in their planes? If memory serves, NJA may have had to give some owners free flights to soothe their ruffled feathers. Apparently, in the frac business opinions on acceptable profit margins are taken seriously. If WB and RS are pleased, I dare say the peanut gallery ;) should be as well.
quote]

Spell checker doesn't catch everything..:0 Obviously, I don't have access to NJA records, and I'm just going off of distant memory. Suffice it to say that owners were displeased over the Marquis situation-- and rightfully so.

There are other ways outside of actual flying, preflighting, etc to get your message across. Overtime is voluntary and no one should be surprised that overworked/underpaid pilots would do nothing more than is required in their contract. Higher motivation comes with better pay and working conditions, as experts will tell you and as the last 2+ years at NJA will confirm. Well treated/compensated pilots are much more willing to pull overtime and help the Company keep vendor costs down. That's another win/win situation that comes from working with a pilotgroup instead of against them. NJW

Latest resources

Back