Wanted: Part 135 Certificate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like a piston-only certif.

I'd be fascinated to know the reason DVN8 needs a Jet certificate all of a sudden. Normally, with "most companies", the folks writing the checks put a fair amount of thought and research into something like this.

Would be nice to know the details as there are numerous options for 'placing' an aircraft on certificat vs. "buying" a certificate.

Regardless of what the original poster says, I think this person will find it a VERY long process in an attempt to "buy" a certificate and go on as 'business as usual'. It's just not going to work that way.

I'd be fascinated to know the reason DVN8 needs a Jet certificate all of a sudden. Normally, with "most companies", the folks writing the checks put a fair amount of thought and research into something like this.

Would be nice to know the details as there are numerous options for 'placing' an aircraft on certificat vs. "buying" a certificate.

Regardless of what the original poster says, I think this person will find it a VERY long process in an attempt to "buy" a certificate and go on as 'business as usual'. It's just not going to work that way.

This is really not as hard as it seems and yes, I have done the research. The research says 'the folks paying do not want a startup'.

There is always a transition anytime an operating business is acquired by another entity and just like everything else you do it one step at a time. One step required (by the folks putting up the cash) is that the company has the ability to put jet equipment on the certificate.

Purchasing a Part 135 company that already has jet equipment on the certificate saves me the steps of rewriting the manuals, having the FAA apporve the changes, add an additional aircraft type to the certificate, and then do 25 hours of proving runs.

So it is a process and not a VERY long one. You purchase the operating company, retain the key people during the transition, either the people stay longterm or are replaced as needed, and all the while the certificate is still operating.

Part of the FAA's responsibility is the fostering of commercial aviation so they DO NOT shut down companies because of a change of ownership. They keep an eye on the transition essientially looking for safety issues and usually take the opportunity to make the operator accept changes that have been avoided to date.

A Part 121 certificate runs about the same way. By way of example Northwest decided against starting another certificate for Compass and instead BOUGHT Indepence Air's Part 121 certificate instead of starting a new one. Why would they operate a single CRJ for a couple years and change to the EMB-175? Because it is easier, faster, and cheaper than starting from scratch!

The Part 135 company I am looking to acquire is just part of the big picture. There are other aviation related companies being assembled under one umbrella. This will provide our clients a one stop shop for a variety of business aviation needs with nationwide reach.

Ultrarunner - You 'THINK' I will find it a very long process. It is obvious you have not done the research you claim I have not done and also have had no business experience, have never owned a Part 135 company, or even been involved with a sale such as this. So as far as going on business as usual - YES - it does work that way. If you won't take my word for it I suggest you spend the time doing your own research.

To all others- Thank you for the many suggestions. I am researching all the leads given to me and I appreciate the time you have spent to forward the information along to me! I have not made a final decision to which companies to pursue so feel free to keep the info coming via post or PM!

By the way I know of a Part 121 B727 cargo operator for sale if anyone knows a buyer it could put some $$$ in your pocket.

Happy Holidays!

I am looking to purchase a 135 operation within the US. The size of the company and number of aircraft is irrelevant. This price is not important but it should be in line with the balance sheet. A certificate with a Citation or bigger is desireable, but I am looking into all options at the moment.

Anyone heard of any for sale?

Thanks in advance!

I get the impression you are looking for a US certificate but you are from out of country...is that correct?

I get the impression you are looking for a US certificate but you are from out of country...is that correct?

Nope - Live and work here in the US of A. I just wanted to make sure I didn't get any leads for companies outside of the US which would be waste of everyone's time.

I just wanted to post an update. We are pursuing a couple potential opportunities one of which I acquired from this post. We are completing the due-diligence work at this time. Thank you all for your help and I will post updates as we progress.

It took my FSDO over one year to take a look at my application for a 135 certificate! I am interested in your progress because, as you said, this may end up being a wiser route these days.

Latest resources

Back