Want To Open A Small Flight School

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kevin40za

I HAVE A C 150....I AM PLANING TO OPEN A SMALL FLIGHT SCHOOL...DO I HAVE TO GET PERMISSION FROM THE FAA. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING RENTAL/FLT TRAINING INSURANCE FOR THE PLANE...IT WILL BE A PART 61 FLT SCHOOL...

THANKS,
KEVIN.

You dont permission from the FAA under Part 61 but youll probably make more money working as a CFI than owning a flight school

Nope, you don't need permission from the FAA to run a part 61 school.

But just a couple things to keep in mind. Make sure you choose your location carefully and evaluate what your competitor has to offer before settling down.

Just as a red flag, a lot of flight schools are offering instruction in newer C-172's. While both the 172 and 15x are solid training airplanes, the general public always likes shiny new airplanes; most are even willing to shell out the extra $$ for it.

So, you will need to market yourself carefully if you wish to compete with the flight schools that have larger and newer fleets. I think you would be better off marketing to those looking for CPL, IA, or CFI tickets since those people are more likely to be looking for a cheap airplane to rent. A lot of the PPL people are looking for fun. And they seem to think it's more fun in newer looking airplanes.

But reallisticly, I think it would be a better idea to be a freelance instructor (not quite as elaborate as starting a flight school), or affiliated with an existing flight school of some sort.

advice

The flight school/rental business is an interesting one. In fact, you can even make a small fortune, assuming of course that you start with a large one :) . If I were you, with only one plane, I would try to leese it back to a local school and let them deal with all the headaches, and just collect your check every month.

Max

check???

Man oh man. I couldn't let that comment on getting a check at the end of the month go without my .02.

I have a Cherokee 180, and I started Aircraft Ownership 101 when I bought this airplane. I entered into a lease-back situation in the Dallas area right away, thinking it would offset much of the expense of ownership, and I could get my ratings quicker. BaHHAAAAA!!

Every flight school in the Dallas area offered me the same basic deal. They demand that they do ALL maintenance on the airplane. I couldn't even change the oil! Folks, airplanes are like black holes for cash, and if you can't do ANYTHING to cut your maintenance cost you can forget about making money in a leaseback deal.

My aircraft was being rented about 70 hours a month, by the same people who abuse the crap out of Hertz rental cars. People have no respect for others property, and don't care how it's taken care of. This, plus normal wear-and-tear adds up to alot of maintenance. I only got a check 1 out of 7 months...all others I had a bill, and had to put back money for an engine on my own! Top it off, and the plane was never available for me to enjoy.

So when it comes to doing a leaseback of your aircraft...RUN THE OTHER WAY!!!!!

About the plans to open a flight school or do instruction/rentals. If your anywhere near Dallas, I think I might have a suggestion that would work for you. Just depends on what you really want to do. There is an established, but small flight school in Greenville. I believe the owner would work out a fair agreement with you on many possibilities. If your interested, send me a private message. Cheers, and good luck!

Latest resources

Back