Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mattpilot

Finally! Graphical TFRs!!
Actually, its not funny. It's pretty sad.

Spartan college of aeronautics (thats in tulsa ok) just upped their flight training rates.

A 1 shi.tty 2 is now a wuppin' $140 an hour. A 172R $160 and a 172RG $180. Thats dual AND solo. A seminole is $260.

I can get a baron55 for $180 an hour at the same airport.

Reason for the increase? Increasing fuel prices of course. Although the last time i checked, fuel prices started to sink again.

I guess the owner ment the fuel prices of all his expensive cars he keeps on buying. I hear especially his new jaguar needs lots of fuel.

My advice to anyone considering spartan, stay the hell away!!! Back when i started the cost was still $90 an hour for a 152. They keep on increasing the price for bogus reasons. May i recommend Airmen in norman, OK? Minitour recommends it ;).

I had inquired about CFI training at spartan some time ago... I was told that because I had done my training part 61 that my job prospects in professional flying were non-existent.

I was further told that if wanted to train at spartan I would need to complete their undergrad(?) curriculum, despite having a bachelors and MBA.

No thanks.. one call with their recruiter was enough for me.

gkrangers said:
90/hr is still insane for a 152.

Why did you/still do go there?

I got 99% of the ground classes done only got like 30 hours of CFI training left. So it doesn't affect me as much as it does someone who starts with 0 time.

The main reason i'm there is for the associates degree. Since i'm basically done with the program, i'm gonna finish it and get that 'degree'. Thing is, i can't transfer to another school, because no one accepts spartans 'credits'. Would i make the same decision again? Hell no!

Also consider this...

When i started in 2001 they had like 60-80 people join every month in a 3 month period. Last fall they had 17(!!!!!) guys join in a 3 month period. I think that says something, no?

quit your b!tchin and go back where you came from then

Kream926 said:
quit your b!tchin and go back where you came from then

shut up brownie!

btw - where were you today? you missed quite an exciting presentation. :rolleyes:

61 that my job prospects in professional flying were non-existent. I was further told that if wanted to train at spartan I would need to complete their undergrad(?) curriculum, despite having a bachelors and MBA.
What is it about the aviation business that brings out the scumbags? People like this ...

Charlatans in OK charging $140 per hour for a 152 ... these dirtbags in the deep south who took tens of thousands of dollars from students and then closed up ... the guy in the midwest who makes aspiring CFIs work in the office for free for a few weeks to see if he wants to let them instruct at his school ... a school here in the southeast that requires it's CFIs to be at the desk, pumping fuel, answering phones seven days per week, NO days off, ever, and yet only pays them per flight hour.

What's the deal?

:(

cfi's QOL i guess isnt that bad here. sure they pay aint great but what cfi job is? they fly and get payed for it. no answering phones or fueling planes

Snakum said:
What is it about the aviation business that brings out the scumbags? People like this ...

Charlatans in OK charging $140 per hour for a 152 ... these dirtbags in the deep south who took tens of thousands of dollars from students and then closed up ... the guy in the midwest who makes aspiring CFIs work in the office for free for a few weeks to see if he wants to let them instruct at his school ... a school here in the southeast that requires it's CFIs to be at the desk, pumping fuel, answering phones seven days per week, NO days off, ever, and yet only pays them per flight hour.

What's the deal?
I agree completely. What's sad though is that as long as there are customers out there that are willing to do these things and pay these prices, then they'll always be these scum bag operators. It's simple supply and demand - if the "customers" quit demanding, then there will be no suppliers (and the scumbags will be out of business) Sadly though that will never happen.

I hope that $140/hr for a 152 comes with a fresh bottle of Vaseline everytime it's dispatched!

Kream926 said:
'wonder how much embry charges?
I dont know, but I can tell you Pan Am doesn't even charge these kind of prices - and thats something to sit up and take notice about! These prices would probably even make Pan Am blush!

Latest resources

Back