• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wall Street Journal rips into Mesa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Michael Lotz, Mesa's president and chief operating officer, says the carrier complies with all collective-bargaining agreements, and its pilots can be scheduled to fly "as many legs" as the FAA allows.
"I've heard anecdotal stories" of pilots sleeping on planes between flights, he says. "We don't track that.""

What a dirtbag. I guess crews are expected to catch up on lost sleep during turns. Its only a matter of time.....

I may just have to order a subscription for my days away from the road.

It's well worth it. The best part is you can subscribe to the online version only and get it anywhere you have internet access...without coming home from a trip and finding your yard littered with newspapers.

Thanks for posting this article.

"Michael Lotz, Mesa's president and chief operating officer, says the carrier complies with all collective-bargaining agreements, and its pilots can be scheduled to fly "as many legs" as the FAA allows.
"I've heard anecdotal stories" of pilots sleeping on planes between flights, he says. "We don't track that.""

What a dirtbag. I guess crews are expected to catch up on lost sleep during turns. Its only a matter of time.....

Does he and his family fly Mesa when traveling?

The corruption and bad business practices of Mesa is finally catching up to them. They will hopefully be a bad memory in a short while. Mesa will be known as how to NOT run a regional feeder airline. Bottom of the barrel airlines never succeed in the long run.
Bye Bye Mesa/Freedumb.

1. No one has harped about fatigue on these stupid boards more than me. Mesa's schedules, while legal, are f-ing DANGEROUS. Thank god I got out of that s-hole before me or the other co-pilot flew into a mountain due to chronic fatigue.

2. A little bird told me that the whole "Go" thing may have been a case of "sleep apnea" on the part of one pilot.

While this doesn't excuse the actions of other "meat in the seat", it does mitigate the incident somewhat . . unless an undiagnosed medical condition is somehow now the pilot's fault as well?

It also poses an interesting question: How many times have you looked over and seen the other guy asleep, and what did you do about it? Did you wake him, report him to the chief pilot, or go to professional standards with concerns about a pilot having a possible medical problem.

Just something to think about.

Last edited:
Why do idiots work for Mesa if they suck so badly? You know why airlines overwork you and don't pay you enough? You let them. If airline pilots weren't such whores for crappy jobs, the work rules and pay in this industry would become so much better. What incentive does a company have to treat its labor better if it has a never-ending supply of idiots beating down the door to take a job if it comes open?

What incentive does a company have to treat its labor better if it has a never-ending supply of idiots beating down the door to take a job if it comes open?

..And they leave 3 months after being online for a better paying regional FO job

Why do idiots work for Mesa if they suck so badly? You know why airlines overwork you and don't pay you enough? You let them. If airline pilots weren't such w************************* for crappy jobs, the work rules and pay in this industry would become so much better. What incentive does a company have to treat its labor better if it has a never-ending supply of idiots beating down the door to take a job if it comes open?
:eek: This guy only has 100 hours and he already "gets it"! Do you come from an airline family or are you just that intuitive (no this is not sarcasm). I made the same observation during the PFT days and decided I'd just instruct a bit longer. It took another year, but it saved me $10,000 in PFT fees I never had to pay and the hourly rate went up 2 bucks in the meantime. I got onboard at ACA and all the PFT guys were lecturing me for the "raise" I got by not having to PFT and that's not fair to them, etc. Hey man, That was their bed, they made it, not me. All I did was refuse to PFT and it worked out fine. It seems there were a lot of guys like me because PFT was relatively short lived. And in the end, guess what? That "seniority scare speech" that all those PFT places and airline pilot mills sell you...I still made CA fairly quick and now have a good job at a frac. See, sometimes instant gratifcation is not the smart thing.
It's so refreshing to see someone who sees things as they are....now Milky, get ready for all the flame.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back