Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
shaq said:
I had to jump in here...

If you really believe that your post has any intelligence behind it whatsoever, well, check yourself in to a mental facility IMMEDIATELY!!! If there is ANYONE out there (inside the U.S.) paying 90K for a Learjet 30 series F.O. to start then that employer is as whacked as you are... And to think I would ever say a pilot is overpaid. :rolleyes:

Now, if your buddy started at 90K as a Global, Gulfstream, Falcon, etc... FO, then that would be believable. If that's the case your post is just flamebait.

Either way you are an idiot. PERIOD!

Bottom line, from what I have seen and heard from meeting some of their guys on the road it's a pretty fair deal with positives and negatives just like everywhere else. No matter what your mentally distorted grand visions of pay scales tell you, $43,000 / yr. is a fair wage for the position. Especially in the AR region.

Please tell us where your padded cell is located and we'll have the internet connection turned off...
Name calling is not the way to go.

And, I am 100% accurate in my statements above. He works for a real corporate aviation flight department at a Fortune 500 company flying a Lear 45.

Oh God... here we go. :rolleyes:

Shaq, I'd advise you not to argue with her - you can't win, you never do with a girl... :D

Sorry English, couldn't resist. ;)

English,

Tell your buddy to keep a resume polished up, I've worked at one of those flight departments before. As soon as the financials start to go down the toilet some bean counter downtown starts looking for overpriced convenience items (i.e. PILOTS) and runs to the CFO with his/her copy of the NBAA Salary Guide or Stanton Group Industrial Compensation Survey...

Then mam, the real fun starts...

The key to running a flight department where EVERYONE gets to have a long 30 year career and retire is keeping a small target. Doesn't sound like your buddy is working for one of those, hope I'm wrong. I once was speaking with a new hire at FlightOptions who had previously worked for a flight department just as you describe. Worked out great for him :rolleyes: ....

As for name calling. My father always said, "if you don't want to be called it, don't act like it... There's always someone around to make the call..."

This will be my last post on the subject because someone like yourself lacks the ability to learn from people like myself who've "been there, done that" and fighting ignorance is a lost cause.

Regards!

This is exactly why the pay will never change.

BTW- I know F/O's that started at 105k on a Citation. And believe me they are'nt going under. I'm not gonna mention names, just believe me on this one.

If taking that job is stupid, somebody needs to put down the pipe.

And why do people want to compare everything to the regionals. Who said we ever considered that an option??? It's not apples and oranges....It's like comparing the Ritz to the Motel 6 (IMO). No offense to those who chose that career, but Regionals and Corporate have about zero in common with each other.

gear_guy said:
And why do people want to compare everything to the regionals. Who said we ever considered that an option??? It's not apples and oranges....It's like comparing the Ritz to the Motel 6 (IMO). No offense to those who chose that career, but Regionals and Corporate have about zero in common with each other.
I wouldn't say that Ritz vs Motel 6 is a very good comparison. I've known many people to leave corporate flying for the regionals, and even with the paycut have been much happier with the overall schedule and work environment. There have also been many people to do the opposite with the same end result. Its really all about the individual and where their interests are. Some people would rather be a part of a huge operation with hundreds of pilots, while some prefer to keep their job on a smaller more personal level. With that being said, I do agree that one cannot directly compare corporate to airline flying...they are two totally different career paths for two different types of pilots. So, instead of saying "its like comparing the Ritz to the Motel 6" I think its more like comparing buying a new car vs buying a new truck. Both CAN be good vehicles, but some people like cars..and some people like trucks. Its simply not a universal decision.

Last edited:
shaq said:
English,

Tell your buddy to keep a resume polished up, I've worked at one of those flight departments before. As soon as the financials start to go down the toilet some bean counter downtown starts looking for overpriced convenience items (i.e. PILOTS) and runs to the CFO with his/her copy of the NBAA Salary Guide or Stanton Group Industrial Compensation Survey...

Then mam, the real fun starts...

The key to running a flight department where EVERYONE gets to have a long 30 year career and retire is keeping a small target. Doesn't sound like your buddy is working for one of those, hope I'm wrong. I once was speaking with a new hire at FlightOptions who had previously worked for a flight department just as you describe. Worked out great for him :rolleyes: ....

As for name calling. My father always said, "if you don't want to be called it, don't act like it... There's always someone around to make the call..."

This will be my last post on the subject because someone like yourself lacks the ability to learn from people like myself who've "been there, done that" and fighting ignorance is a lost cause.

Regards!
It is also obvious that someone like yourself lacks the ability to realize you don't know everything.

And yes, fighting your ignorance is a lost cause.

g159av8tor said:
Why peolpe bash the pay and upgrade time is beyond me when the regionals can't offer anything better by far.
Tailwinds...
This was the comment I was refering to. I think if you re-read my earlier post it will make more sense. I don't see how they are both like buying new autos. I don't get that analogy. That implies that they have something in common...which they don't. But that's for another thread. I personally have never, and will never consider the regionals as a career because their pay is unfair.

My point is that they will not raise the corporate pay as long as people "making that for 6 years in the regionals" keep saying that it's fair pay. Sure it's a raise to people in the regionals. But for those of us making a career out of corporate aviation it is below average for the #1 company in the world. You're really screwing people out of the money the job deserves. That's all I am saying. You guys complain about the Mesa's and Jet Blue's, and then drive corporate aviation pay down yourselves. Thanks alot.

About 7 years ago I started as a LR-31A FO with a company much smaler than Wal-Mart for about $44K per year plus very good benefits. For the area (NW Arkansas) and the type of employer (discount retail) the pay sounds about right.

Is that area expensive to live in? Sounds like you could do ok on $44k starting out. What's the 5-year pay?TC

Latest resources

Back