Vor Radar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared said:
I think the point is, simplifying things is one thing, saying something which is just incorrect serves no purpose, and at best it would have to be corrected later. To use you instructor analogy yeah, you don't delve into transsonic flow and compressibility on the introductory lesson. But no matter how young or stupid you perceive the student to be, telling them that lift is created by invisible green bugs because that's simpler can only lead to problems. At best he's going to be wondering how you can tell the bugs are green if they're invisible, at worst he's going to think you're a monumental moron and look for a different instructor. Simplify to the extent you need, but don't say things which are just flat wrong. That's the lame excure that the writer is attempting to rationalize calling a VOR "RADAR"

Now that's a reasoning I'll give a thumbs up to.

Perhaps "Aircraft Navigation Beacon" would have been better? Americans are either going to understand that...or they aren't. RADAR just doesn't fit...but yes, you do have to "dumb it down" for off-the-street Americans. Go start talking to the next non-pilot you see on the street about FADEC, ACARS, ATIS, or CAT II and III ILS Approaches and you'd have them lost for about 3 hours.

For us, yeah...we understand it, so talking in detail is good. For your average "Joe", you're just data dumping.

-mini

I think it'd take a good 60 seconds to give a good explanation of what a VOR is, but the average American will only pay attention to about 10 seconds, and then call it a "VOR radar."
This guy frustrates me too. For a while there I couldn't tell whether he was talking about ASR, VOR, or NDB's. I think I'll write him a nastygram too.

time builder said:
I think it'd take a good 60 seconds to give a good explanation of what a VOR is, but the average American will only pay attention to about 10 seconds, and then call it a "VOR radar."

Remember, they aren't trying to learn how to fly or navigate using VORs...they just need to know why the windmills may be a PITA and potentially hazardous.

-mini

unreal said:
What's that supposed to mean? Do you really think a fresh out of the box 17 year old private student is going to get a grasp of how an airplane flies by throwing "L=clqS" at them the first day? You'd bring that out at some point, but the first lesson?

I don't think I'm alone on that one, either.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Comments like this just piss me off.
Well, I don't think anyone, instructor or otherwise should make things up in order to dumb them down.

I make my explanations of things simple enough for the student to understand, but at least complex enough to get the point across. I might explain a little about lift on the first lesson, partly because I was facsinated when I figured out why airplanes fly. As far as whatever equation you put up there. . .If you are teaching that to students. . . .wow. . .

What does age have to do with a private pilot?-Other than the prequisite?

PS Its better to be pissed off, than pissed on!

Last edited:
Hack this!

As a journalist/writer, he owes the reader the utmost in honesty and credibility, nothing less would be disrespectful toward the reader.

There have been huge scandals in the last few years regarding journalists who "embelished" their stories, which ultimately led to the writer's downfall, and to the of distrust of the reader toward the printed word.

This "journalist" is doing no one any favors by conjuring up such drivel. He has distunguished himself as a complete "hack" in journalism.

minitour said:
Remember, they aren't trying to learn how to fly or navigate using VORs...they just need to know why the windmills may be a PITA and potentially hazardous.

-mini
True.
By the way, what does PITA stand for?

time builder said:
True.
By the way, what does PITA stand for?
Pain in the A$$

Did anyone else write this guy and did he reply?

Latest resources

Back