Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AA717driver

A simpler time...
If you have a nav system that, at some point, could use VOR's to update the FMS, you still have to do a VOR check every month.

Someone had a bet on this and I said yes, you do have to do the check. If you don't do the check, the system could be using false info in the event of a GPS failure.

Anyone have input? TC

As far as I know it is required, but have not checked to confirm it.

On our MX release we have a line signed by the PIC that gives the place, location, freq, and date of VOR/VOT check. The PIC fills it out prior to departing home base. I hope that we never have a trip that lasts more than a month!

I pretty much avoid green-source approaches. Haven't flown a VNAV appr yet that didn't blow the doors off a green-source ILS for accuracy.

Unless I needed to shoot the CAT II I typically prefer to shoot the LNAV/VNAV GPS approach.

Last edited:
You shoot ILS's don't you? You need to check every 30 days.
There is no requirement for periodic ILS checks.

The A320's and B757's at my last company did not have GPS but had triple IRU's updating the navigation databases in the dual FMS's. Primary was DME/DME and secondary was VOR/DME updating if only one DME was within range. We did VOR checks every 30 days.

Latest resources

Back