voluntary time off from airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bugchaser

Someone told me once that they were able to take extended leave from their airline job every summer. Does anyone know anything about this? Is this possible? If I could have 2 months off during the summer it would sure help put food on the table. At least for the first couple of years of commuter flying. Maybe some of you airline guys have some info on this. Thanks.

Hmmm. I'm on a 16.5 month leave of absence from my airline right now. They seemed to approve it with no problems. hehe. Guess you said "voluntary" though, so nevermind. I remember from my American Eagle days that you needed to submit a written request to the company for any leave longer than 30 (?) days, and they would approve/reject it on a case-by-case basis. Something like that. I think that getting a 2-month LOA from any airline EVERY summer would be stretching it a bit. Of course, by using vacation time, dropping trips, banging in sick, etc, you could possibly do it! Just my $.02

Thanks Skyspray, I know that is stretching it a little. Just trying to figure out how to make the switch over to the other side without starving to death during the transition. I also know that many of you are on non-voluntary leave right now and that it may be quite a while before this even becomes an issue. Anyway just thinking about the possibilities. Where are you spraying? Do you have a seat for this year? PM me with your details if you are looking. I may have a few leads for the right person.

Well, best of luck with everything. I'm working down in Eloy Arizona right now.. decent gig and lots lof fun. Primarily aerial apps, although the owner just picked up an 802 for fighting fires. Had the opportunity to fly it with an empty hopper the other day. Performance is unbelieveable! At any rate, take er easy. -SS

Latest resources

Back