Voluntary Furlough & Unemployment $$$

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

uncle

Is there anyone who is on "voluntary furlough" and is receiving unemployment benefits from their state? If so, which state? Please only respond if you are the person on voluntary furlough. I would like responses from those who are 100% sure of their answer. thanks

States do not recognize voulntary furloughs for unemployment benefits. Only involuntary furloughs, since furloughees are cut loose involuntarily. Voluntary means one volunteered to leave.

Sorry sir. That is not true. Kentucky has said that they will offere unemployment benefits to our voluntary furloughs here at Comair.

Drill Sgt. Dad said:
States do not recognize voulntary furloughs for unemployment benefits. Only involuntary furloughs, since furloughees are cut loose involuntarily. Voluntary means one volunteered to leave.

Not true. I've been through this, took a voluntary furlough and then legally collected unemployment. It all depends on the laws in the state that you can collect unemployment in. That state is the one where your company paid unemployment to. Each state had different laws, so your best bet is to contact the unemployment office in the state that you could collect in.

New York uses the test of, "Are you unemployed as a result of a reduction in work force?" Even though it was a voluntary furlough, the company was reducing the workforce. I did not ask for a leave of absence. The company published a reduction in workforce and I volunteered to be cut. That satisfied NY state under their laws and I was able to collect unemployment after a voluntary furlough.

As a side note, never look at unemployment as a form of welfare. For every dollar that you have earned, your employer has paid a % into state unemployment. That pool of money is to be used to cover workers who have lost their job through no fault of their own. If your company is offering a voluntary furlough, then they are putting guys on the street. Just because you offered to bypass seniority doen't mean that jobs aren't being lost.

Thanks for your replies. I called Texas unemployment and they couldn't give me a definite answer"each case is reviewed and a decision is made".

Latest resources

Back