VLJ Pay and QOL...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any single pilot Citation people out there?TC

I am a single pilot Citation person, and I don't think that the insurance is really that much higher. I would be curious to see what most two pilot operators are paying.

I think the pilot compensation issue might be the fly in the ointment of the VLJ concept, which is depending heavily on keeping operating costs down. I wouldn't be surprised to see their business model depend on the notion of paying pilots $35K per year and all the flying they can handle. If that's the case, they most definitely won't be attracting the most experienced pilot, but rather the inexperienced time-builders. I tend to think the insurance companies would put the kibosh on that.

Im with H25B (Byrnes). I believe the underwriters will have the last laugh on this one. I flew as contract copilot on two different 525's for two different operators and both of them had the single pilot type. The insurance policy for one read that they may fly single pilot when not on company business....well, i guess that covers everything but maintenance flights. Im not sure if the same will hold true for the VLJ industry or not but for those of us who CFIed for the doctors/lawyers in the Bonanzas and Barons, I think we can safely say that alot would be expected of them either in terms of experience or $$$$ premiums. Just my opinion.

HS125 said:
Actually the way I understand it, the only currency requirement would be a FAR 61.56 Flight Review every 24 calendar months and this could be done in a 152. These VLJ's are single pilot aircraft and therefore the pilot would not require the 12 calendar month Pilot Procficiency check required by FAR 61.58.

The only type specific currency requirements would be the takeoff and landing requirements of FAR 61.57.

There is no FAR recurrent training requirement for Part 91 operations in an aircraft of the size of the VLJ's or for any other single pilot jet.

What FAR part are these aircraft being certified under, Part 23, part 25? Just curious.

Let's look to the positive aspects of this.... more pilot opportunities. There is no question that insurance companies will play a role in this, especially for non professional pilots. In the other hand, air taxi ops may be someone with experience and a seat warmer/radio/here is where the coffee is types. In the end, most will be there to build time and is there really anything wrong with that. I flew a Garmin 1000 panel the other day and there is little question that some of these new aircraft may be easier than a Baron to keep going.

Latest resources

Back