Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
Last time I went to the eye doctor I had 20/15 vision with both eyes and 20/20 separately. I have had eye surgery to tighten a loose muscle, it was NOT to correct the accuity. I think the condition is known as strabismus. The doctor said I have a slight near-sightedness in my left eye but that it has improved since I had the surgery and may continue to do so. Also, when I close my right eye (my dominant eye), the view on the right side of my left eye starts to kind of blackout. If I focus on something else it will go away, but not for long. So here are the questions. Please answer them to the best of your knowledge because this is very important to me.
1. Does anyone else's eye blackout a little when the dominant eye is closed?
2. Is it normal?
3. Is it going to be a problem in getting medically qualified to be a pilot? Can they find out about it?
4. Will my surgery be a problem?
5. If they do find out about it is it the end of the world? Can I still be a pilot by wearing glasses or something?
Thanks.

The best thing to do is ask a flight surgeon. There is always waivers that can be had.

Strabismus is a touchy subject with Flying Class I physicals. I would go to the AF Pubs Website and download AFI48-123 and read appendix 7 which has all the limitations for Flying Class 1 (selection for UPT).

Depending on the type/severity if the strabismus you may be able to get by or qual for a waiver. Certain things like any heteroTROPIA are immediate disqualifiers, while there are limits on heteroPHORIA. Neither of which are waiverable. Microtropia is another form of Strabismus and depending on the severity of the condition and it's effect on depth perception and binocular vision, the AF gives out waivers to some people as part of a research study group (i.e. you get to be a guinea pig).

If you don't understand all the medical terminology, take the stndards to your ophthalmologist and have him/her figure it out for you.

Latest resources

Back