• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin to DCA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like we got the slot under the new entrant exemption. :)

VIRGIN AMERICA AWARDED NONSTOP FLIGHT SERVICE FROM THE BAYAREA TO WASHINGTON NATIONAL (DCA)
California-based Carrier Will Launch New Nonstop, Low-fareService from San Francisco (SFO) to DCA later this summer

San Francisco – May 14, 2012 –Virgin America, the only major airline headquartered in California, received U.S.Department of Transportation (DOT) approval today to launch one daily nonstopflight between its home base of SanFrancisco International Airport (SFO) and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport(DCA). Virgin America plans to initiatethe new service later this summer, subject to finalizing flight schedule timeswith DOT.

“We are pleased to have the opportunity to bring our unique brand of service to this underserved route – and to better connect one of the world’s leading economies to our nation’s capital,” said David Cush, President and CEO of Virgin America. “Until this year, San Francisco has been the largest travel market in the nation previously without nonstop flights to DCA, and local travelers and businesses deserved better. Thanks to the outpouring of community support for our application from Bay Area elected officials, civic groups and business organizations and the DOT’s decision today, we will finally be able to provide local flyers and businesses with more choice and meaningful lowfare competition.”

The new route became available following the enactment of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which authorized the DOT to award a limited number of new flights to U.S. domestic airportslocated beyond DCA’s 1,250-mile “perimeter limit.” Multiple carriers filed competing proposals for new DCA services earlier this year for thevaluable “beyond perimeter” slots that allow carriers to fly nonstop to cities more than 1,250 miles from DCA.

Most of the prior “beyond perimeter” awards had been made to non-California airports. Smaller markets awarded DCA flightsin the past include: Denver (four frequencies), Seattle (two frequencies) and Phoenix (three frequencies). Despite its size and the importance of Northern California’s innovation-based technology sector to the national economy, prior to this year the Bay Area never had nonstop service to DCA. As a result, local consumers and businesses suffered for decades with higher fares and limited choices – either flying to Washington Dulles or taking one-stop connecting flights when traveling to downtown Washington, D.C.

With fleetwide WiFi, power outlets,touch-screen live entertainment and new aircraft with three classes of service,Virgin America’s business-friendly product has offered a unique new option for local businesses and flyers.

Virgin America is one of the few growing airlines in the U.S. In addition to the airline’s impact on fares and service, Virgin America’s decision to headquarter in California has created thousands of local jobs. Since its launch in 2007, the airline has expanded to 18 new markets and created more than 2,600 new jobs. Virgin America flies to San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington D.C. (Dulles), Seattle, Las Vegas, San Diego, Boston, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Cabos, Cancun, Chicago, Puerto Vallarta, Palm Springs, Philadelphia, Portland (as ofJune 5, 2012) and Washington Reagan National (as of later this year).

Major Airline? VA revenues doesn't meet the criteria to be called a "major" carrier per the ATA (> $1 billion US) just yet or did that change too?

Major Airline? VA revenues doesn't meet the criteria to be called a "major" carrier per the ATA (> $1 billion US) just yet or did that change too?

Yep, that changed last year as well. Revenue now over $1B, but still not making money. All those launch parties are expensive.

Yep, going out of business anytime now for all you "Positive Thinkers" out there! :rolleyes: Have a Good Day!! :D

http://www.virginamerica.com/press-release/2012/virgin-america-flies-to-washington-national.html

Yes, we all forgot. When an airline is adding routes, that means it is doing well. Whatever you do, don't click here and scroll down to the Consolidated Statement of Operations table.

I guess that will be one more city pair with yields that will be trashed for everyone. I can't wait for the Groupon to hit the market.

Yes, we all forgot. When an airline is adding routes, that means it is doing well. Whatever you do, don't click here and scroll down to the Consolidated Statement of Operations table.

I guess that will be one more city pair with yields that will be trashed for everyone. I can't wait for the Groupon to hit the market.

ualdriver, what's your point? I'm sorry VA came to SFO and competes with your precious United. I'm sorry that VA took United furloughees that your precious United decided to layoff. I'm sorry that VA has been, for many, a 3rd-7th airline after their previous legacy/major went belly up. What else?

ualdriver, what's your point? I'm sorry VA came to SFO and competes with your precious United. I'm sorry that VA took United furloughees that your precious United decided to layoff. I'm sorry that VA has been, for many, a 3rd-7th airline after their previous legacy/major went belly up. What else?

Nah, just be sorry that your nonunion pilot group undercuts the profession. That's all you need to be sorry for. The competition stuff is the nature of capitalism. It just sucks for all the airlines that compete on that city pair that VA is going to be putting seats in yet another market that will make money for no one. It is that whole "history" and "doomed to repeat" thing. But I have said enough. There's no way I am getting dragged into this debate again.

Latest resources

Back