• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin American

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
planejohn, nope 121 airlines are never going to be the same, pick any reason, and its part of the problem. Management, pilots, unions, gas prices, competition, security (TSA), politics, whatever. I just want to find a place that will stay in busines until I learn to play the piano, or get a PGA tour card...

PlaneJohn said:
Dumbluck, thanks for the info. Being a corporate guy I think I just may stay put after seeing responses from the other members. Maybe my boring little corprate gig isn't to bad. I have a few friends in the frac business, and it seems like the trend these days are for the pilots of the regionals and smaller airlines to cross over to the fracs. The 121 industry looks like its in shambles, and the way gas prices are I wonder if they'll ever have there day agian.

Planejohn...if your corporate gig if even halfass decent keep it. I recently went corporate after 16 years at the airlines, mostly regional and 6 years freight. Since making the move I have had numerous friends on the airline side say they wish they could do the same. I had not made captain yet so I didnt take a big hit in pay. It came out about even after I figured in savings from not commuting. Sure is nice being home 90% of the time now instead of being gone over 50% of the time. The airlines may eventually get better, but as mentioned it will never be what it was. The best pay and schedule will be in freight. If you can handle being up all night and are a good day sleeper look into the freight side. Whatever you do....move to your base if you have a family.

cf

Last edited:
Cheyflyer, your right. My current job is a good job and for the time being I intend to stay. I guess I felt that I never gave the 121 side a shot, and like most everyone else in corporate I started in charter and never seemed to manage crossing over as my progression in corporate jobs kept getting better. It just seems that unless you do international you'll never break the 100k mark. Being very close to that it really makes it hard to want to take the pay cut and risk a furlough. I've had a lot of friends that did the United, TWAY, and DAL thing, then a year later they were out of work. All are now in corporate, and frac, at least none of them had to go back to charter. It looks like its all a matter of timing, and if the airlines ever do make it back I'll be to old. Freight wouldn't be bad at UPS, or FEDEX, and I'm sure a lot of guys with big metal experience would agree, and not knowing anyone there I'd probably have a snowballs chance in hell. Thanks for the advice, and Im glad to here your happy with the corporate side, as there definitely is something to be said about being home.

I'm pretty sure it's name will be Virgin America. And you can bet the payscales will be low and the line will be around the corner and five blocks deep.

PlaneJohn said:
Anyone know how to apply at Virgin American? I tried the website under "Join the Team" and view current opportunities, and nothing comes up.

But to answer the question:

Search for 'Pilots' in the Keyword box.
Click 'Pilots and Flight Attendants'
Ignore the 'We are NOT currently taking resumes' comment
Click on 'here' in 'Click here if you are applying for the first time.'

You'll be able to attach your resume and fill out an online app.

NutKase

NutKase, thanks for the info. I guess we did get a little side tracked. Did you fill one out yourself? How involved is it? Jetblues is pretty simple.

Andy said:
Cool. It's nice to know that so many pilots are willing to fly A320s for J-31 rates.

I imagine the cockpit conversation will go something like this:
Capt to FO: dang! That lead FA's smokin' hot!
FO: Yeah, I'm very tempted to ask her out.
Capt: Sweet! Back to business- tell me again how we're eligible for foodstamps.
FO: Due to our wages, we qualify; just go down to the welfare office and fill out the paperwork. I did it; it's very easy and now I'm eating like a king. I've got KRAFT mac 'n cheese; no more generic stuff for me.
Capt: Awesome! And you were saying that public transportation's been great, right?
FO: Yeah, it's only the early shows that I have to get to the airport the night before and sleep in the terminal. I love picking up extra flying; nothing like a good night's sleep in a motel 6.

Really, and where are their payrates posted at?

jehtplane said:
Really, and where are their payrates posted at?

They're not posted. People are just a$$-uming...

AND, living in the past. :rolleyes: TC

Best air holding pay....aka.... Virgin American

Here is the payscale according to a memorandum to the state of California. It's basically a PDF file that I found dated December of 2004. It's a critical proposal agreement that is required in the state of California code of regulations (CCR).

(Pilots)
AdvancedTechnology 430 253 $41.00-$126.00

Health Benefits Used To Meet ETP Minimum Wage:
*Employer-paid health benefits of at least $2.37 per hour will be
applied to the base wage in order to meet the ETP minimum hourly
wage of $12.37 for San Mateo County and $20.61 for SET Frontline
Workers.

PlaneJohn said:
NutKase, thanks for the info. I guess we did get a little side tracked. Did you fill one out yourself? How involved is it? Jetblues is pretty simple.

Yes, and it was pretty simple and not involved at all. Basically answer a few questions and attach your resume.

NutKase

Latest resources

Back