Virgin America

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV80R

Interesting blog article posted on VA...

Posted on July 12, 2007 | Permalink
No easy ride for Virgin America

Sir Richard Branson’s long quest to start a U.S. airline came a step closer to reality Wednesday when his Virgin America announced it has received government approval to begin selling tickets. But despite the considerable buzz that Branson brings to the startup, there is plenty of reason to worry that Virgin America could be in for a bumpy ride.

When the airline, which is majority-owned by U.S. investors, starts flying this August it will be the second high-profile startup this year, following the May debut of Skybus. Virgin America is taking the opposite approach to ultra-discounter SkyBus, concentrating on large, well-served markets and presenting itself as a premium flight experience at a discounted rate. Sir Richard has previously found success placing his Virgin brand in the skies, with Virgin Atlantic and Australian discounter Virgin Blue both flourishing. But the flamboyant entrepreneur has always found the U.S. more difficult to navigate, and the airline might not be an exception. Virgin America has said its inaugural flight will be between its San Francisco home base and New York's JFK Airport, with plans to serve Washington, Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas in subsequent months.

Virgin America appears set to do a lot of transcontinental flying, a strategy that has been a money pit for many discounters. Low-fare airlines typically look to offset those fares by getting more daily round trips out of their equipment. However, cross-country round trips tie up airplanes for most of the day, making it harder for carriers to generate multiple fares from individual planes. Frontier Airlines Corp. and discount king Southwest Airlines Co. have both cut back on transcon flying, concluding that there is more money to be made elsewhere.

Still, Virgin America figures to face no shortage of competition. JetBlue Airways Corp. flies to the West Coast from JFK and offers many of the amenities Virgin America promises. Indeed, the real question for Virgin America is what the market opportunity there is in an industry already showing signs of saturation. JetBlue has stimulated the New York market with low fares, while Southwest and others have built strong discount markets throughout California and the West Coast. Other companies like AirTran Airways Inc. and SkyBus are growing rapidly, increasingly forcing the discounters to go head to head. Virgin America also will be starting up service at the end of the busy summer holiday season and is likely to burn through significant amounts of cash during the fall, which is typically a slow period for air travel. The company's best hope might lie outside of the U.S., where it could eventually link up with some of Sir Richard's other brands. Virgin Atlantic has built a loyal following flying from Europe to JFK and is expected to be one of the most aggressive airlines in trying to capitalize on routes opened by a new aviation treaty between the U.S. and European Union. Meanwhile, Virgin Blue has applied to launch service between Australia and the U.S.
Time will tell whether the U.S. market embraces Branson's airline, or if Virgin America follows in the footsteps of Virgin Cola and "The Rebel Billionaire" reality show. —Lou Whiteman
See Virgin America press release
See May 21 DealScape post
See Virgin America's potential city list
See Virgin Blue's U.S. service application

I am curious as to whether any connecting traffic from Virgin Atlantic will a positive part of the revenue stream? If you look at the city parings, most of the initial cities are where Atlantic flies into.

Were all screwed.
Between Skybus, VA and the rest of the low cost weenies, all the regional zit-poping 20-something whores who still live with their mommys now have an outlet to narrowbody transcon flying and doing it at $60 per hour as captains.

JJET44..Great response! Tell us what you know about VA and let me form my own opinion on whether they would be a good fit.

Btw. Tell us who you flew the RJ's, Lears for and hourly rate so we can pass judgment on whether you did anything good for the industry.

I flew RJ's at the same company that you did, but I had the common sense to move ahead in my career instead of taking a step back in pay and QOL.

Now I fly around 8 pax for well over $10k more a year than skybus captains fly 156 pax.

Now isn't that sad?

I'm Waiting!!!

Yes... it's sad for the guys at Skybus.
I do not work there!
So that being said....$75,000 flying corp. jets...is that a little on the low side?

That's my base salary. Kind of like your 70 hr a month which comes out to be $79,800. $4800 a year more to fly 138 more people.

Upgrading captains return to Year 1 pay
Upgrade to captain is merit based

Now thats different.

Latest resources

Back