Violation in Europe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Guitar rocker

We know how it works here. You bust an altitude or miss a heading and the next thing you here is, "give this number a call when you land." Just curious, if you miss a heading or bust an altitude in Europe, will you get the same??? Or will they just not say much and still burn you??? I am guessing that it can vary from country to country as well. I assume that a NASA form isnt going to help you with a violation in a foreign country either.....

Oh the flipside, what happens when, just to pick a purely hypothetical example, a Korean Air crew taxies all over Logan Airport completely ignoring directions, crossing runways, until they finally bumble their way to Terminal E and the rest of the traffic can resume moving?

Oh the flipside, what happens when, just to pick a purely hypothetical example, a Korean Air crew taxies all over Logan Airport completely ignoring directions, crossing runways, until they finally bumble their way to Terminal E and the rest of the traffic can resume moving?

Maybe the captain had to snap one off and he figured that he would take the absolute quickest way to haul a$$ and get to terminal E to get the job done. Also, taking into account that he could not possibley take a delay anywhere (such as holding short of a runway) he decided to bag all instructions and go with the do it yourself taxi plan at Logan.

I am fortunate enough to not have received a violation but, as you say, atc procedures differ from country to country although we are under the JAA umbrella.
There is a reporting system much like the NASA ASR's called ECCAIRS- European Aviation Co-ordination Centre for Aviation Incident Reporting (geez, that rolls of the tongue easily).
I can't help in answering the question of what actions are initially taken, although the French controllers are already arrogant and snotty so I'd hate to find out!

I am fortunate enough to not have received a violation but, as you say, atc procedures differ from country to country although we are under the JAA umbrella.
There is a reporting system much like the NASA ASR's called ECCAIRS- European Aviation Co-ordination Centre for Aviation Incident Reporting (geez, that rolls of the tongue easily).
I can't help in answering the question of what actions are initially taken, although the French controllers are already arrogant and snotty so I'd hate to find out!

Thanks for the information.

I've heard SFO ground more or less shut down the airport to let a KAL crew make their way to the gate.. for the most part Korean pilots hardly pass for ICAO standards for English.. I had an MD-11 instructor in Long Beach tell me that most of the guys going thru training have a translator with them, and don't even know how to read the FMS data, but rather memorize key strokes to make certain actions occur..

As for ATC in Europe.. my experience is that they are like most ATC's.. unless you do something completely unsafe, you don't get in real trouble.

Operated out of London for three years, another crew didn't do an arrival procedure properly at Luton and the company was contacted by telephone, no actions were taken against the crew, just a verbal bollicking, I know of no other incidents to help you.

They can come after you. It takes work on their part to provide the supporting documentation and provide their reasoning and facts to the FAA. You are not immune. You F*ck up on the other side of the pond, you can get violated. ICAO regs are exactly that.......internationally enforcible.

Latest resources

Back