Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

VIDEO...Reporter blacks out on Blue Angels media ride!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny thing is, I used to work with Steve (the reporter) when we both worked for the newspaper in New Orleans. I take the plunge and actually get a job in aviation, and he works out on Microsoft Flight Simulator. Guess who gets to ride with the Blue Angels? (it ain't me...)

No, I'm not bitter. Glad he got the ride. Oh, by the way, the pilot tells Steve on the video that they just pulled 7.5 g's, in case anyone's counting. And say what you will about Steve's conditioning, but the guy has run a marathon. How many people here can say that? (again, it ain't me...)

AirBill said:
Funny thing is, I used to work with Steve (the reporter) when we both worked for the newspaper in New Orleans. I take the plunge and actually get a job in aviation, and he works out on Microsoft Flight Simulator. Guess who gets to ride with the Blue Angels? (it ain't me...)

No, I'm not bitter. Glad he got the ride. Oh, by the way, the pilot tells Steve on the video that they just pulled 7.5 g's, in case anyone's counting. And say what you will about Steve's conditioning, but the guy has run a marathon. How many people here can say that? (again, it ain't me...)

Runners are the worst g-pullers (low blood pressure). Weight training, rest, hydration, and technique are what keeps you awake in the high g arena.

Fugawe

Giving a non-pilot a ride in a fighter is one of the least favorite things we did in the military, unless you enjoy wasting 20,000 lb of JP-4 for no training, and breathing 100% O2 to try and negate the barf fumes. Occasionally, though, you get a good one.

Years ago, I showed up for an F-15 LOWAT (Low Altitude training) mission brief to find a petit, female ROTC cadet in attendance. I've got the tub, and she's mine for the ride. Yuck. A quick check of her physique reveals what I estimated to be an early barfing, 3G body.

LOWAT is unique in a fighter in that available power and G is enormous. The engines have all the air they need, and the jet can sustain max G all day until it runs out of gas. Simple tactical turns LOWAT are often 5 to 7 G. I thought the flight was going to be a disaster.

Out to an Alabama LOWAT range. No barfing on departure... she's talkative, and doing well. So far so good. Time for a TAC turn at 500'... we go easy at 4G. Looking back, she's digging it, another thumbs up. I'm impressed. We execute a few more warm up turns, 5, 6, 7G. Every time I look back, I get a big thumbs up.

I split #2 off to the north, and we run some intercepts, followed by a guns track exercise. I'm laying everything I've got on this girl. I'm frankly shocked at how well she's done. Usually this profile would reduce a hulking ROTC football player to puking jello. But I'm also a bit suspicious. Towards the end of the ride, I took it up to 5,000' and flew a continuous circle with incrementally increasing G, while I watched her over my shoulder. 2G, 3G, 4G, then her head collapses on her chest. I ease up; her body does the funky chicken as she awakens, just like this guy in the video. After the spasms subside, she gives me a big thumbs up and a "cooool!" on the intercom. The poor girl had been unconscious for much of the ride. She was indeed a 4G body, but enjoyed it so much, it was amazing. No barfing either, I have to give her big credit on that.

I also have to take a hit for not noticing sooner. It was laziness on my part, but we were not doing defensive BFM, and the need to check 6 under 7 or 8G wasn't there on this mission. To this day I wonder how many of her brain cells I killed on this ride. :0

mcjohn said:
Seriously, how do civilians go about getting these rides? If the Orange County Choppers guys got to do it surely anyone can. Anyone see that episode?

By being members of the media or celebrities. It's a PR thing for the military.

I managed not to puke in my first trip in a Pitt's but sure felt like it a couple times and the next morning it looked like I went 12 rounds with Mike Tyson and lost.

Straight & level is where it is at in my book.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back