• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bryan D

Ya gotta laugh

http://www.zianet.com/dohnal/downloads/helocrash.wmv

NTSB Identification: LAX87LA190 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 35617.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, April 26, 1987 in RUBIDOUX, CA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 2/17/1989
Aircraft: HUGHES 269B, registration: N101DN
Injuries: 1 Minor.

A HUGHES 269B WENT OUT OF CONTROL AND COLLIDED WITH THE GROUND DURING A T/O TO A HOVER. THE PILOT HAD PURCHASED THE AIRCRAFT RECENTLY AND WAS LEARNING TO FLY IT. HE WAS SCHEDULED FOR HIS FIRST FLIGHT LESSON ON THE DAY OF THE ACCIDENT. THE CFI REPORTED THAT HE HAD TOLD THE STUDENT PILOT TO WAIT FOR HIM AND NOT TO TOUCH ANYTHING. WHILE WAITING FOR THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR, THE NON ROTORCRAFT RATED STUDENT PILOT STARTED THE AIRCRAFT, RAN IT UP TO FULL RPM, AND THEN BEGAN TO INCREASE THE COLLECTIVE PITCH CONTROL. THE HELICOPTER CLIMBED VERTICALLY TO A HIGH HOVER AND THE PILOT LOST CONTROL. THE PILOT STATED THAT HE HAD NOT RELEASED THE CYCLIC FRICTION BEFORE BECOMING AIRBORNE. THE PILOT INDICATED HE HAD ABOUT500 HOURS OF FLIGHT TIME BUT DID NOT SPECIFY THE TYPE AND NO SUBSTANTIATION OF THE TIME COULD BE MADE.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL..NOT MAINTAINED..DUAL STUDENT
JUDGMENT..POOR..DUAL STUDENT
VERTICAL TAKEOFF..UNCONTROLLED..DUAL STUDENT
INSTRUCTIONS,WRITTEN/VERBAL..DISREGARDED..DUAL STUDENT

Last edited:
...would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he got off the phone with his insurance company!

I bet he's still making payments today.

Thanks. I've seen that video many times and read a few versions of the circumstances surrounding the flight but this is the first time I've seen the actual NTSB report.

The funny part would have been when his instructor arrived. Where is your helicopter? It's over there.

LOL, I'm going to show this to my pvt students next time they think they are ready, "yeah, you think you're ready, whatch this...he thought he was ready, too!"

THAT must have been embarassing

Latest resources

Back