Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

VFR Practice Approaches in uncontrolled airspace....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pgcfii2002

"Uh....oh yeah...&quo
I was just wondering if an ATC clearance is required for VFR practice approaches into an uncontrolled airport.

So far, no....but I want to make sure.

No. The term "uncontrolled airspace" is an area where ATC has no jurisdiction. They cannot give you clearance even if you wanted.

Maybe you meant class e airspace around a non-towered airport. In that case, the answer is still no. You may fly an instrument approach procedure without any ATC clearance, just the same as you may do steep turns and any other kinds of maneuvers in that airspace. Of course, you should also follow all vfr procedures approaching and entering a vfr traffic pattern.

One of the "annoying" things I hear from others doing practice approaches at non-towered airports is when using instrument procedure phraseology as position reports: "Podunk traffic, Fireball 234 is procedure turn inbound on the NDB 19."
(Student pilot on downwind about to turn base) Where's that? (panic) What shoud I do - where's a ..procedure turn?, (pant,pant) Do I turn??do I stay??

So I try to use vfr language, such as "6 miles north descending from 2000 for a straight in to 19"

Latest resources

Back