• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JediNein

No One Special at all
Greetings,
Anyone have thoughts on VFR pilots following IFR approach procedures in visual conditions? This can be to towered or non-towered airports, making appropriate radio calls on the frequency, seeing & avoiding, and generally being on their best behavior.
Thanks!
Jedi Nein

That is how we practice alot, if the approach is not being used, and you are in VMC, making all the calls, looking for traffic and being safe, then why not?

JediNein said:
Greetings,
Anyone have thoughts on VFR pilots following IFR approach procedures in visual conditions? This can be to towered or non-towered airports, making appropriate radio calls on the frequency, seeing & avoiding, and generally being on their best behavior.
Thanks!
Jedi Nein

It's fine as long as you make the calls - I also tuned in approach/center in standby for the airport I was doing them at if it was uncontrolled so I could keep abreast of what was going on outside of "my little world" so to speak. If I heard a learjet, falcon, crj, etc. etc. get cleared for the visual or [insert approach] I knew to be on the lookout.

If it was a towered airport, outside of a RADAR facility (ie middle of nowhere) I would contact the tower and request a practice approach. The tower kept us up to speed with what was going on.

Common sense

Personally I don't have a problem with people practicing in VFR conditions especially when they're making all the calls and looking out.

Things happen a little slower in the terminal area and *everybody* should be looking out.

But I've got a small problem with people practicing holding patterns on the airway. People let their guard down in cruise and closure rates are a lot higher.

Just be careful.

Jedi, with your level of experience, I suspect you don't mean practice approaches. Are you talking about, say, a VFR pilot using a VOR approach plate or a localizer to find and fly into an unfamiliar airport?

Sure.

JediNein said:
Greetings,
Thanks!
Jedi Nein

Oh yeah as long as you get radar advisorys and both guys are lookin at times. If you've ever been through the SGD STS APC "valley of death" you'd know what I'm talking about.

Latest resources

Back