VFR or IFR?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vector4fun

On a controller's board I frequent, a question has arisen about when or if an IFR flight becomes VFR. Without trying to prejudice anyone's answer, I'm curious what most pilots think. May be educational....

Situation: WX is VFR, an aircraft on an IFR training flight makes an instrument approach to a controlled field. Approach Controller asks how the approach will terminate? Pilot answers they intend to "Stay with the Tower", presumably for some pattern work. Approach says "Thank you, contact the tower on (freq), so long."

The aircraft in question changes to tower freq, and the tower says "N12345, cleared option rwy 17L, make left closed traffic". The aircraft acknowledges the clearance.

The question is, does the aircraft automatically become VFR upon completing the approach, or must ATC hear the magic words "Cancel IFR" before considering the aircraft VFR?

I obviously have my own opinion already, but I AM curious how much confusion or disagreement there might be between the pilot and controller camps. Your thoughts please...

The approach contoller asks this so s/he can pass the pilot's intentions along to the local controller and plan for further IFR traffic flow, if necessary. Once the tower knows, they will cancel your IFR automatically upon touch-and-go or executing the missed and ask you to squawk VFR in the upwind for your pattern work.

Does that sound right??

I was told to automatically squawk VFR if doing pattern work at our home base. So I'd think it became VFR yes.

Latest resources

Back