Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tk855

HELP??

As I am working towards my MEI, people keep telling me that a commercial ME applicant can no longer get the multi rating with a VFR only limitation. They say that the private ME applicant can, but not the commercial. The problem is, they can't back this up with any literature. Does anyone know if this holds any truth?

Also, if it is true, does that mean that the commercial ME applicant must posses an instrument rating in order to get their multi rating, or just do tasks C and D in section X of the PTS along with all other required items?

tk

The PTS for the Multi requires you do under the hood work, and shoot some approaches. So I would assume that you would need some instrument training...probably the instrument rating.

I think what they are saying is this. What has changed (quite a few years ago, by the way) is that a Commercial applicant with an instrument rating on his SE ticket, cannot "opt out" of the instrument portions of the ME PTS and be issued a ME VFR only Commercial ticket. But if a commercial applicant who has no instrument rating wants an additional class rating, he may add the ME rating to his SE commercial an it too will be VFR only. I don't have a copy of the PTS with me to give you a reference.

Why not get both at the same time?

It is my understanding that to get an instrument-multi rating, you have to do about 3 approaches - 1 with both engines, 1 with critical engine inop, 1 with partial panel. I may be wrong though. I do know that you cannot get an MEI certificate without the instrument-multi rating but I am pretty sure (and my instructor is too) that you can get a commercial-multi rating without it.

If you do the mel-add on with a centerline thrust restriction, do examiners make you repeat the IFR approaches when removing the restriction? The PTS doesn't specifically call for it. . .

I'll ask my pilot examiner the next time I see him (hopefully soon ;) ) to see what he know about all this. I would say "yes" since an engine out on a non-centerline twin is very different but I'll ask to get a more definite answer.

Latest resources

Back